Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer

Enquiries about students

Seeking information about one of our students

The University receives many enquiries about students and we take great care when assessing what information can and can't be divulged and discussed.

You may not think of yourself as a third party when you are contacting us with a concern about your son, daughter, relative or friend, but, as adults, all of our students are entitled to be confident that their personal information is properly handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

What we can't do

Unless we have the person's specific consent to do so, we are unlikely to enter into a discussion about an individual student's:

  • Well-being
  • Whereabouts
  • Academic progress or results

Nor will we provide their address, telephone number or any other contact information.

What we can do

We can take your contact details so that we can make enquiries and return your call.

We will be happy to provide general information about the University's services or facilities and our systems for providing support to our students. The information below may be helpful.

If the person you are enquiring about is studying with us, we may pass on a message on your behalf, or we may ask them to contact you. We won't necessarily confirm to you whether or not they are studying with us.

Where an enquiry about a student causes us concern we will pursue it until we are satisfied as to the well-being of the individual student.

In circumstances where we have determined that there is reason to be concerned about a student, we may then discuss that person's situation with third parties. Where our enquiries have established that there is no need for concern, we may tell you, but we will not give details.

Staff are trained to be helpful but cautious, and to make the best interests of the student their priority.

Contacting us

In circumstances where you feel it would be desirable to speak to us about your relative or friend, we advise that you contact their academic School in the first instance.

If you're not sure which is the right School, you can look up the subject they are studying here: