The Alan Gilbert Memorial Fund
Professor Alan Gilbert was an inspirational leader who transformed The University of Manchester during his six years as President and Vice-Chancellor between the University’s foundation in 2004 and his retirement in 2010.
A visionary with a rare ability to combine commercial insight with fairness and integrity, Alan Gilbert transformed the University into a centre of excellence for research and learning whilst never losing sight of the individuals who constituted the University.
The Alan Gilbert Memorial Fund has been established to provide you with an opportunity to celebrate his life and provide lasting support to the Equity and Merit Scholarship Programme which Alan Gilbert inspired.
We are seeking donations, large and small, towards a target of £500,000, from alumni, friends, staff and students who wish to play their part in marking Alan Gilbert’s remarkable life.
Key features of the fund
- A ring-fenced permanent endowment will fund an annual scholarship for the most outstanding applicant each year from Africa for the Equity and Merit Scholarship Programme.
- The recipient will become the ‘Alan Gilbert Memorial Scholar’.
- As for all Equity and Merit students, the student’s tuition fees are waived entirely by the University. Your donation provides for the student’s living costs.
- The names of all donors will be included on a roll of honour.
- Since 2007, 28 students undertaking full-time courses on campus have graduated from the Equity and Merit Scholarship Programme since 2007.
- All students accepted onto the programme have successfully completed their courses.
How you can help
Alan Gilbert’s vision for Equity and Merit scholarships has created a flagship programme which has drawn wide acclaim. With your support we are now seeking to create a permanent endowment in Alan’s memory to fund at least one African student each year to come to Manchester on the Equity and Merit Scholarship Programme, or future equivalents.
We are seeking donations, large and small, towards a target of £500,000, from alumni, friends, staff and students who wish to play their part in marking Alan’s remarkable life.
If you care for the spirit of academic excellence, equality of opportunity, and humanity which Alan imbued into the University, please show your support by giving online or by completing the donation form.
You will need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat (downloadable from Adobe) to view PDF files. PDF files open in a new window