Commercialisation of our intellectual property (IP) lets your business benefit from innovations emanating from University of Manchester research.
We have a rich history of innovation and pioneering new technologies, and offer a range of technology transfer and IP investment opportunities across diverse market sectors.
How we manage enterprise investment
University of Manchester I3 Ltd (UMI3) is our innovation company. The three I's stand for Inspire, Invent, Innovate.
UMI3 has two operational divisions:
- UMIC – our Innovation Centre, offering state-of-the-art incubator premises and a vibrant enterprise conferencing and networking centre
- UMIP – our IP commercialisation service
UMI3’s mission is to bring our groundbreaking inventions and software into the commercial world. We do this principally by attracting entrepreneurs, investors and corporate venture partners to our campus and innovation centre, then licensing or spinning out companies through engagement with our academic colleagues.
Commercialisation case studies
Examples of spin-out companies that have brought innovations to market include:
- Acoustek, whose leak-detection technology was licensed to Pipeline Engineering;
- Bioxydyn, a developer of diagnostic imaging tools that is now working with the pharmaceutical industry;
- NeuTec Pharma, a biopharmaceutical company that evolved from our own Infectious Diseases Research Unit.
To find out more, download our commercialisation case studies leaflet (PDF document, 707KB).
For other case studies, including examples of enterprise investment and the transfer of IP through licensing and spin-outs, visit our UMIP website.
For laboratory/office space and conferencing/events, email UMIC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For intellectual property commercialisation, email UMIP at email@example.com.