Engaging our communities
Social responsibility is a core goal at Manchester, embedded at the heart of everything we do. It ensures we encourage, support and partner with a range of people and organisations beyond the University.
Our commitment to social responsibility means we actively seek to engage with and involve the public, for the mutual benefit of our University and our wider society.
Our communities extend from the very local to the global; from our own staff, students and alumni, to businesses, patients and policymakers; from the voluntary to the private sectors; and from schools and colleges, to individuals, families and organisations throughout the city-region.
How we contribute to our communities
We work in a variety of ways to improve the lives of the 2.7 million people who live across Greater Manchester, as well as extending our reach to have a positive impact on societies across the globe.
- Strategy and data - Our Inspiring Communities plan addresses mutual priorities for the benefit of both the University and our local community.
- Research - We work to ensure our research makes a positive difference to society and improving lives.
- Community-based teaching - Our teaching makes a significant contribution to our local communities.
- Schools and colleges - We work closely with local schools and colleges to enhance educational opportunities, develop teachers and undertake educational research.
- Public institutions - We have a range of inspiring public spaces and institutions that are open to our local communities and contribute to the vibrant culture of our region.
- Students and the community - Our students actively contribute to the community, culture and economy of Greater Manchester.
- Volunteering - Our students, staff and alumni give their time to support a wide range of activities in the local community.
- Work and employment - We are a major regional employer with significant job opportunities for people in our local communities.
- Third sector and social enterprise - We engage with third sector organisations and support social enterprises across our city-region.
- International impact - We carry out research with global importance and impact, attract a high number and calibre of students from around the world, and support our students in volunteering their time to help communities across the globe.
- Public events - We run a huge variety of events, talks, exhibitions, performances, concerts and family days.
Social responsibility is one of our three core goals, demonstrating our commitment to improving the well-being of our communities.
Public and community engagement
Discover how we're connecting the public with our research, teaching and visitor attractions.