Support for secondary school subject areas
At Manchester, we offer a range of opportunities and experience to enrich your secondary school curriculum, designed to stretch and challenge learners to reach their full potential.
Pupils from your school can enjoy a wide range of academic enrichment activities, relating to various subject areas, held on our Manchester campus.
Subjects covered include science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), various languages, and humanities subjects.
Activities delivered in your school
'Why Study?' presentations with optional workshops
Our 'Why Study?' series of presentations provides up-to-date information, advice and guidance (IAG) to young people, so that they can make informed decisions about their future. They aim to raise awareness of, and aspiration to, some of the most competitive and demanding subject areas in higher education.
We can deliver these presentations at schools based within one hour's drive of The University of Manchester. Talks are flexible and may last from 30 to 45 minutes.
- provide information on popular disciplines available at university, which are not taught, or are less widely taught, in the 14-19 curriculum;
- demonstrate some of the skills developed by studying a degree in this subject area;
- explore some of the careers that graduates from these subject areas could progress into;
- inform learners of any specific progression information, if appropriate (eg any preferred or mandatory GCSE or A-level subjects);
- raise awareness of additional opportunities available through degree courses in this subject area (eg study abroad or industry placement opportunities).
We can combine our presentation with an interactive workshop, should your school timetable allow. These workshops are designed by post-doctoral researchers and postgraduate students at Manchester, who are at the forefront of research in their respective fields.
Workshops aim to give learners a hands-on, interactive taster of the subject area. They may last 60-75 minutes, depending on the time available. The featured subject areas provide an introduction to learners in subjects they may not have encountered yet, but are interested in pursuing post-16.
Subjects currently on offer include:
- Health Care
- Life Sciences
- Psychological Sciences
- Religion and Theology
To make an enquiry about a Why Study?' talk, simply complete our Why Study? booking form.
If you have any enquiries about any other activities, please email: email@example.com.