View tabbed content | View all content (for printing)
Advice to applicants
In addition to the formal online application, candidates should send:
- Two academic references on official headed paper
- A research proposal. It should be 2,500 words (+/- 10percent) long and include the following sections:
- Background (previous research in the area and own interest in the topic)
- Research problem and study aims/research questions
- Relevance of the proposed study to the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work's research priorities and strengths (see our research website )
- Proposed study design, with justification for choice
- Overview of proposed data collection methods and analysis techniques, with justification for choice
- Unique contribution of the study to knowledge (what new knowledge might your study provide)
- Brief consideration of practical and ethical issues
- References (these are not included in the word limit)
- A document (approx. 1000 words) providing details on:
- What has been your career development to date and why do you wish to apply for PhD study?
- What has been your research experience (emphasis on best project)?
- What are your research interests (area and methods)?
- Other supporting information: recent publications if any (indicate best publication), other research training and experience
- Evidence of assurances about study leave where appropriate
- Formal confirmation of funding status, eg a letter from your sponsor or documentary evidence of your ability to meet all fees and living costs
- A current CV
Candidates may be required to attend an interview.
We are not able to process applications until we receive the required documentation.
The deadline for complete applications for September 2013 entry: 28 June 2013. Early application is advisable.