Occupational Medicine MSc
View tabs | View full page
- Degree awarded
- MSc/Advanced Diploma/PGCert/CPD Diploma
- MSc 3yr PT/AdvDip 2yr PT/PGCert 1yr PT/CPD 6 mths
- Entry requirements
Potential students must hold a medical degree from an approved institution. No experience in occupational medicine is necessary.
- How to apply
For further information, see: 'Selection Criteria'. Please note: If you have an enquiry specifically regarding the CPD Diploma course, please contact Mary Aldred on +44 (0) 161 275 5451 or email: CPD-COEH@manchester.ac.uk
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
The programme is designed for all doctors working in occupational medicine, particularly those in specialist training posts who intend to prepare for their professional examinations with the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (FOM).
It also gives those who wish to pursue an additional academic qualification the chance to obtain an MSc in Occupational Medicine, awarded by the university. The programme adheres closely to the syllabus requirements of the FOM (London and Ireland); however it also aims to furnish an overview of the whole spectrum of medicine and hygiene within the sphere of work.
The third year of the MSc aims to impart a sound understanding of the theory, practice and methods required to carry out a valid piece of scientific research. The programme structure provides qualifications at the following levels:
- CPD Diploma (PG Credit)
- Advanced Certificate in Occupational Medicine
- Advanced Diploma in Occupational Medicine
- MSc in Occupational Medicine
The programme comprises:
- A blend of specially commissioned written materials in electronic format (PDF), together with interactive teaching material - all delivered via the University's Virtual Learning Environment, Blackboard
- In year 1 students are required to attend in Manchester for a 1-day seminar associated with Module 1 in month 3 and the same for Module 2 in month 6
- Students are allocated to tutorial groups for Modules 4 to 8, each supported by a specialist in occupational medicine. Tutorials are delivered via teleconference
- In year 2, students are required to attend in Manchester for a 4-day practical course in month 6
- In year 3, students are required to attend a 3-day Research Methods course held at the University in month 1. Some components of the programme are held jointly with students studying the MSc in Occupational Hygiene
Note: All taught course units will be assessed via examination held at the university at intervals throughout the programme and the final year via submission of a dissertation.
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2014, the tuition fees are as follows:
- MSc (part-time distance learning)
UK/EU students: £3,570 per annum
International students: £7,350 per annum
- PGCert (part-time distance learning)
UK/EU students: £3,570
International students: £7,350
- Advanced Diploma (part-time distance learning)
UK/EU students (per annum): £3,570 per annum
International students: £7,350 per annum
- Modular (part-time distance learning)
UK/EU students: £1,785
International students: £1,785
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees. Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1000 towards their tuition fees before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.
- Academic department
- Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences
- Contact name
- Claudia Keller
- +44 (0) 161 275 5521
Academic department overview
See: About the Faculty