Corrosion Control Engineering MSc
View tabbed content | View all content (for printing)
- UCAS institution code
Degree awarded: MSc; Diploma; Certificate
Duration: 12 months full-time; Up to 60 months part-time
How to apply:
You can apply on-line for all of our postgraduate masters programmes. Complete details are available on our website at www.manchester.ac.uk/pgapplication If you have any questions or need any advice, please contact us.
The MSc in Corrosion Control Engineering provides you with a thorough training in corrosion and its control. Initially, you will study the fundamental chemistry, physics, and metallurgy underpinning corrosion processes. Subsequently, you will learn about approaches to corrosion control, ranging from material selection, through cathodic protection, to corrosion inhibition and protective coatings. Finally, you will cover industrial scenarios where knowledge of corrosion and its control is paramount, e.g. oil production. This MSc is the ideal preparation for a career either in industry as a corrosion scientist or engineer, or for cutting-edge academic research.
Aims of the course:
- To produce competent, professionally qualified graduates who are appropriately trained and will secure immediate, rewarding and useful employment in UK, European or overseas industries as corrosion scientists or engineers.
- To provide conversion training, which is intellectually challenging, as well as being industrially relevant.
- To satisfy the needs of practising engineers, scientists and technologists wishing to develop professional competence in the areas of corrosion and corrosion control methods.
There are several study options, which allow you to effectively undertake the course, whatever your employment circumstances, and wherever you are in the world:
- Full-time (12 months, involving six taught Units, and a research project).
- Part-time (Spread over a number of years (up to 5) to suit demands of your job).
- Online distance-learning ( Click here for more information).
Besides enrolling on the MSc course, you can choose to study for a somewhat less demanding PG Diploma or PG certificate. Furthermore, you can enrol on individual Units as part of your Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees. Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
School of Materials
Academic department overview
See: About Us
Contact name: Postgraduate Admissions Team
Telephone: +44 (0)161 306 5777
Facsimile: +44 (0)161 306 4865