Prof Asif H Qureshi - personal details
Role: Emeritus Professor
School of Law
The University of Manchester
Professor of International Economic Law
Barrister; LL.B (Lond); LL.M (LSE, University of London); PhD (LSE, University of London)
Positions held currently:
- Barrister: Quadrant Chambers, 10 Fleet Street, London, UK.
- Advocate Sindh High Court, Pakistan (2008)
- Member of the Roster of WTO Non-Governmental Panelists eligible for Panel service, appointed by the Dispute Settlement Body of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
- Member of the International Law Association Committee on International Trade.
- Member of the International Law Association Committee on International Law on Foreign Investment.
- Editor-in-Chief: Manchester Journal of International Economic Law
Visiting positions held:
Visiting Professor, Tsinghua Law School, Tsinghua University, Beijing,China (October2009, April 2010)
Visiting Professor, China-EU School of Law, Beijing, China (May 2009)
Adjunct Professor, Universiti Kebangsaan, Malaysia (2008-2009)
- Visiting Professor (Honorary), University of Middlesex, UK (2007-2010)
- Visiting Professor, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands (May 2006)
- Visiting Professor, Osaka University, Japan (November 2005)
- Visiting Professor, University of Malaya, Malaysia (July 2005)
- Visiting Professor, Fudan Law School, Fudan University, Shanghai, China (2003)
- Visiting Scholar, Yale Law School, Yale University, US (1992)
Assisted and advised Pakistan and Cambodia on their Trade Remedies' Legislation.He has also acted as a consultant to and for various governments and international organisations on WTO law generally: Pakistan (1998, 2000, 2003), Saudi-Arabia (2001);GCC (1987); UNDP(1998); Asian Development Bank (2000); UNCTAD (2001); Commonwealth Secretariat (2001, 2002, 2003); Islamic Development Bank (1999); CTLD (2003); ICTSD (2003); and the WTO (1999, 2004); Cambodia (2005); European Commission (2009).
He has lectured to government officials from developing countries variously - including, as part of a WTO team on WTO law in Tunisia and Pakistan; as part of a team organised by the University of Amsterdam, at the Ethiopian Civil Service College, Ethiopia, on international trade and investment; in Cambodia at the Ministry of Commerce as part of a project funded by the European Union; in Pakistan at the Ministry of Commerce as part of a UNDP funded project; and at the WTO Centre in Shanghai, China. In addition, he has given guest lectures in various universities and organisations - including in Poland, Korea, China, US, Pakistan, Indonesia; Germany; Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan and the UK.