Prof Diana Mitlin - publications
List of publications
- Diana Mitlin and David Satterthwaite. Urban Poverty in the Global South: scale and nature. Abingdon: Routledge, 2012. eScholarID:177005
- Mitlin, D., J Hardoy, D Satterthwaite. Environmental Problems in Third World Cities. Earthscan, 2001. eScholarID:4b121
- Bebbington, A J., Hickey, S., Mitlin, D. Can NGOs Make a Difference?: The Challenge of Development Alternatives. Zed Books, 2008. eScholarID:4b2484
- Mitlin, D., D Satterthwaite. Empowering Squatter Citizen:Local Government, Civil Society and Urban Poverty Reduction. Edited by Mitlin, D. Satterthwaite, D. , Earthscan, 2004. eScholarID:4b120
- Bebbington, A J., Hickey, S., Mitlin, D. "Introduction: Frameworks for Analysing NGO Alternatives." In Can NGOs Make a Difference? The Challenge of Development Alternatives, ed. S Hickey, A Bebbington, D Mitlin, 3-37.Zed Books, 2007. eScholarID:3b5315
- Mitlin, D. "Background Papers for 4 chapters." In Global Report on Human Settlements 2005: Financing Urban Shelter, Earthscan, 2005. eScholarID:3b5312
- Mitlin, D. "Civil Society Organisations: Do They Make a Difference to Urban Poverty." In Urban Governance, Voice and Poverty in the Developing World, ed. Devas, N, 123-144.Earthscan, 2004. eScholarID:3b327
- Mitlin, D. "Competition, Regulation and the Urban Poor: a Case Study of Water." In Leading Issues in Competition, Regulation and Development, ed. Minogue, M, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2004. eScholarID:3b329
- Mitlin, D., S Patel. "Grassroots-Driven Development: the Alliance of SPARC, the National Slum Dwellers Federation and Mahila Milan." In Empowering Squatter Citizen, Earthscan, 2004. eScholarID:3b393
- Mitlin, D. "Securing Voice and Transforming Practice in Local Government: the Role of Federating in Grassroots Development." In Participation: From Tyranny to Transformation? Exploring New Approaches to Participation, ed. Hickey, S. Mohan, G, 2004. eScholarID:3b328
- Mitlin, D., T Baumann, J Bolnick. "The Age of Cities and Organisations of the Urban Poor: the Work of the South African Homeless People's Federation." In Empowering Squatter Citizen, Earthscan, 2004. eScholarID:3b330
- Mitlin, D., S Patel, J Bolnick. "Squatting on the Global Highway." In Global Citizen Action, ed. Edwards, M. Gaventa, J, London: Earthscan, 2001. eScholarID:3b332
- Mitlin, D., D Satterthwaite. "Urban Poverty: Some Thoughts about its Scale and Nature." In Facets of Globalization: International and Local Dimensions of Development, ed. Yusuf, S. Evenett, S. Wu, W, Washington DC: World Bank, 2001. eScholarID:3b331
- Diana Mitlin. "Endowments, entitlements and capabilities – what urban social movements offer to poverty reduction." European Journal of Development Research(2012) . eScholarID:177006 | DOI:doi:10.1057/ejdr.2012.18
- Green M, Kothari U, Mercer C, Mitlin D. "Saving, spending, and future-making: time, discipline, and money in development." Environment and Planning A 44, no. 7(2012) : 1641-1656. eScholarID:177563 | DOI:10.1068/a44640
- Mitlin, D. "GATS and Water Services: the Implications for Low-Income Households in the South." Progress in Development Studies(2007) . eScholarID:1b10550
- Mitlin, D., Hickey, S., Bebbington, A J. "Reclaiming Development? NGOs and the Challenge of Alternatives." World Development(2007) . eScholarID:1b10551 | DOI:10.1016/j.worlddev.2006.11.005
- Mitlin, D. "Understanding Chronic Poverty in Urban Areas." International Planning Studies 10(1)(2005) : 3-19. eScholarID:1b3982 | DOI:10.1080/13563470500159220
- Mitlin, D. "Reshaping Local Democracy." Environment and Urbanization 16(1)(2004) : 3-8. eScholarID:1b814
- Mitlin, D., A Muller. "Windhoek, Namibia - Towards Progressive Urban Land Policies in Southern Africa." International Development Policy Review 26(2)(2004) : 167-186. eScholarID:1b815 | DOI:10.3828/idpr.26.2.3
- Mitlin, D. "A Fund to Secure Land for Shelter: Supporting Strategies of the Organised Poor." Environment and Urbanization 15(1)(2003) : 181-192. eScholarID:1b676
- Mitlin, D. "Addressing Urban Poverty Through Strengthening Assets." Habitat International 27(2003) : 393-406. eScholarID:1b673 | DOI:10.1016/S0197-3975(02)00066-8
- Mitlin, D. "Finance for Shelter: Recent Histories, Future Perspectives." Small Enterprise Development 14(1)(2003) : 11-20. eScholarID:1b674 | DOI:10.3362/0957-1329.2003.005
- Mitlin, D., T Baumann. "The South African Homeless Peoples' Federation: Investing in the Poor." Small Enterprise Development 14(1)(2003) : 32-41. eScholarID:1b675
- Mitlin, D., S Patel. "Sharing Experiences and Changing Lives." Community Development 37(2)(2002) : 125-137. eScholarID:1b677
- Mitlin, D. "Sustaining Markets or Sustaining Poverty Reduction." Environment and Urbanization 14(1)(2002) : 173-179. eScholarID:1b678 | DOI:10.1177/095624780201400114
- Mitlin, D. "Civil Society and Urban Poverty: Examining Complexity." Environment and Urbanization 13(2)(2001) : 151-175. eScholarID:1b679
- Mitlin, D. "Housing and Urban Poverty: a Consideration of the Criteria of Affordability, Diversity and Inclusivity." Housing Studies 16(4)(2001) : 509-523. eScholarID:1b683 | DOI:10.1080/02673030120066572
- Mitlin, D. "Poverty Alleviation or Poverty Reduction: the Contribution of Civil Society." Journal of International Development 13(2001) : 1003-1008. eScholarID:1b682 | DOI:10.1002/jid.826
- Mitlin, D. "The Formal and Informal Worlds of State and Civil Society: What Do They Offer to the Urban Poor?" International Planning Studies 6(4)(2001) : 377-393. eScholarID:1b681 | DOI:10.1080/13563470120092386
- Mitlin, D., B Chitekwe. "The Urban Poor Under Threat and in Struggle: Options for Urban Development in Zimbabwe 1995-2000." Environment and Urbanization 13(2)(2001) : 85-103. eScholarID:1b680
- Mitlin, D. Competition, regulation and the urban poor: a case study of water. 2003. Centre for Regulation and Competition Working Pape.
- Mitlin, D. The Economic and Social Processes Influencing the Level and Nature of Chronic Poverty in Urban Areas, CPRC Working Paper. Vol. 29. 2003.
- Mitlin, D. Understanding Urban Poverty: What the Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers Tell Us, Poverty Reduction in Urban Areas Series Working Paper. Vol. 13. 2003.
- Mitlin, D., J Gold, A Mueller. The Principles of Local Agenda 21 in Windhoek: Collective Action and the Urban Poor, IIED Working Paper on Local Agenda 21s and Urban Environmental Action Plans. Vol. 9. 2001.
- Mitlin, D., S Patel. The Work of SPARC and its Partners Mahila Milan and the National Slum Dwellers Federation in India, Poverty Reduction in Urban Areas Series IIED Working Paper. Vol. 5. 2001.