Prof John Helliwell (DSc) - personal details
Role: Emeritus Professor
Tel: 0161 275-4970
School of Chemistry
The University of Manchester
1971-1974 First Class Honours Degree in Physics, University of York; 1974-1978 D. Phil in Molecular Biophysics, University of Oxford and member of Balliol College; 1978 Medical Research Council PDRA at the Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics and Junior Research Fellow, Linacre College, University of Oxford; 1979 - 1983 Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Keele; 1983 - 1985 Senior then Principal Scientific Officer at SERC, Daresbury Laboratory and Honorary Lecturer in Physics, University of Keele; 1985 -1988 Lecturer in Physics, University of York; 1979-1983, 1985 -1993 and 2001 - 2006 Joint Appointee with SERC/CCLRC Daresbury Laboratory and in 2002 CCLRC Director of SR Science based at Daresbury Laboratory; 2007- Honorary Visiting Scientist STFC Daresbury Laboartory and Science Adviser to STFC 'CLIK'; 1989 to present Professor of Structural Chemistry, University of Manchester.
HONOURS AND DISTINCTIONS:-
1996 - 2005 Editor-in-Chief of Acta Crystallographica
1997 Honorary Member of the National Institute of Chemistry, Slovenia
2006-2009 President of the European Crystallographic Association
Major Lectures since 2000:-
- Prof K Banerjee Centennial Silver Medal Lecture at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) Research Institute in Calcutta (2000) entitled "New opportunities in biological and chemical crystallography".
- Plenary Lecturer at the 1st Central European Conference "Chemistry towards Biology" Portoroz, Slovenia. (2002).
- HERCULES Training Course, Grenoble; Opening Lecture on "Biological applications of SR and Neutrons" (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005).
- Transactions Symposium Lecturer at the American Crystallographic Association, Cincinatti, USA entitled "Neutron protein crystallography" (2003).
- Royal Institution Friday Evening Discourse April 2004; "The molecular basis of the colouration mechanism in lobster shell".
- Plenary Lecturer at the ICCBM10 (International Conference on the Crystallisation of Biological Macromolecules No. 10) held in Beijing China June 2004. "Protein crystal perfection" .
- Plenary Lecturer at the South African Chemical Congress (SACI'37) held in Pretoria July 2004. "The molecular basis of the colouration mechanism in lobster shell".
- Lecture at the International Council of Scientific and Technical Information (ICSTI) Public Conference 2006 held at the USA National Institutes of Health , National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland, USA June 2006 "Experiences of global responsibilities in science publishing; Examples from an Editor-in-Chief for ICSU International Union of Crystallography".
Lecture at the British Association for the Advancement of Science Annual Conference, held University of Liverpool September 2008 entitled:- "The role the UK Synchrotron Radiation Source has played in biology and medicine" .
Lecture at the 5th Belgian Crystallography Symposium October 2008 held at the Belgian Academy of Sciences, Brussels. "Cracking lobster shell protein structures and explaining the colour shift".
Plenary Lecture at the BCA Young Crystallographers Meeting April 2009 Loughborough University entitled:- "The Structural Chemistry and Structural Biology of Colouration in Marine Crustacea" .
1998 Fellow of the Institute of Biology; from 2009 renamed Fellow of the Society of Biology;
1996 DSc in Physics, University of York;
1995 Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry;
1986 Fellow of the Institute of Physics;
1978 DPhil in Molecular Biophysics, University of Oxford
1974 1st Class Honours degree in Physics, University of York