Dr Jeff Penny (BSc (Hons), PhD) - personal details
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 8344
University of Manchester
School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Manchester
Jeffrey Penny carried out a PhD at the University College of Wales investigating mechanisms and regulation of intestinal and renal transporter proteins. His research continued at the Department of Surgery, University of Dundee investigating the cytoprotective role of the P-glycoprotein efflux transporter against dietary and environmental carcinogen. Collaborative research at the University of Dundee addressed isolation of intestinal stem cells and characterisation of transporter and enzyme activities in nascent tissue grafts. Whilst at the Division of Cell and Molecular Sciences, St. George’s Hospital Medical School, London he studied the expression and characterisation of novel transporter proteins as potential drug targets. He then took up a joint School of Pharmacy/Medicine Fellowship at the University of Manchester to investigate the role of intestinal drug transporters in relation to prediction of therapeutic-drug absorption. He is currently an academic at the School of Pharmacy and leads research into development of in vitro cell models to study drug transporter function in healthy and disease states, drug delivery and drug-drug interactions. His interests also include generation of physiologically-based pharmacokinetic models to predict drug delivery and drug handling.
Research Highlights and Prizes
· European Teratology Society. Teddy Edwards memorial prize for research into congenital abnormalities, 2011.
· Ebert Prize for the best report of original investigation published in the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2010.
· Research selected to be presented at the NC3Rs 50th Anniversary Event at the House of Lords, Westminster, London, 2008.
· Eurand Award for Novel Approaches in Drug Delivery, 2004.
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
In Vitro Toxicology Society
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain Academic Pharmacy Group
· Ph.D. University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
· B.Sc. (Hons), Biochemistry, University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
Assistant Director (Teaching Quality) in the School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Principle Co-investigator in the Centre for Applied Pharmacokinetic Research.
Drug absorption and drug metabolism
Biology and Biochemistry