Prof Mona Baker - personal details
Tel: 0161 275-0473
Samuel Alexander Building-A208
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- IATIS - International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies
- Profile on Academia.edu
- Translation Studies Portal
- BA English and Comparative Literature, American University in Cairo
- MA Special Applications of Linguistics, University of Birmingham
- DSc (Higher Doctorate), UMIST.
- Founded St. Jerome Publishing and the international journal The Translator in 1995.
- Vice President of the International Association of Translation and Intercultural Studies.
Membership of Editorial and Advisory Boards
Ameriquests (USA), Ethical Space: The International Journal of Communication Ethics (UK), Maghreb Journal of Cultural Studies and Translation, Across Languages and Cultures (Hungary), ' Ayn (Journal of the Saudi Association of Languages and Translation); Translation Café - Review of Contemporary Texts in Translation (Romania); MONTI - Monographs in Translation and Interpreting (Spain); Translation Quarterly (Hong Kong); Hermeneus (Spain), Translation Studies (Iran), Journal of Translation and Interpretation (Slovak Association for the Study of English); Journal of Translation Studies (Hong Kong), Translation Watch Quarterly (Australia).
HRH Prince Hasan of Jordan attends a workshop led by Professor Mona Baker, with participation from the Arab World, Iran and Turkey
Visiting and Honorary Positions
- Member of the Advisory Board of InZone – Centre for Interpreting in Conflict Zones, University of Geneva.
- Guest Professor, School of Foreign Languages, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 2008-2010
- Member of the International Advisory Committee of the Translation Research and Instruction Program, Binghamton University, USA
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Translation and Textual Studies, Dublin City University, Ireland
- Wei Lun Distinguished Visiting Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006
- Adjunct Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006-2010
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, South China Agricultural University, 2007-2010
- Member of the Evaluation Committee, Humanities Panel, for ICREA (Institució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats), 2010-2012
- Academic Consultant, Qatar Foundation. Project: Translation & Interpreting Institute, Hamad bin Khalifa University, 2011-2012
- Honoree of the 2011 Fifth Session of Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz International Award for Translation – for contributions to the field of translation.
- Consultant to Routledge - Translation Studies List (2014-2015).