Dr Alan Smith (BA, PhD) - personal details
- Folowing an electrical engineering apprenticeship, Alan Smith spent three years as an Engineering Draughtsman.
- He then joined Doncaster Borough Council as an Assistant Electrical & Mechanical Engineer.
- Following Local Government Reorganisation in 1974. he was appointed Engineer (Street Lighting) with South Yorkshire County Council - a positioned he held until 1982.
- He then joined Doncaster College as a Lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering and later became Senior Lecturer with responsibilities for HNC/HND courses in Electrical Engineering and was individually responsible for developing HNC/HND courses in Building Services Engineering. He took early retirement from this position in 1995.
- Since 1995 he has guest lectured in Lighting at several universities throughout the UK to students on courses involving Occupational Health & Safety and Optometry.
- Following a period where he was a Visiting Senior Lecturer in the Department of Optometry at The University of Manchester - he was appointed a Vision Sciences Fellow in the Department of Optometry.
- He is a Visiting Research Fellow in the School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences (SEASES) in the Faculty of Engineering & Physical Sciences at the University of Manchester
- He was a College of Optometry PQE Examiner in Occupational Optometry from 1999 to 2006
- He was a member of the Editorial Board for 'Optometry in Practice' 2001 to 2005 with responsibilities for Environmental Optometry
- From 2001 to 2003 he was the Secretary of the Sports Vision Association. and was a member of the Task Group that revised CIBSE (SSL) LG4 - Sports Lighting (2007)
- In 2007 he singularly developed a 'Guide for the Lighting of Optometric Practices' available on the UK College of Optometry website.
- He representsThe College of Optometry on CIE (UK). CIE is the International Commission on Illumination (Commission Internationale de l´Eclairage).
- In 2009 he was appointed Chair of CIE Technical Committee 5.26 - Guide for the Lighting of Sports Events for Colour TV and Film Systems.
- In 2015 he was appointed Chair of CIE Technical Committee 5.20 - Sports Lighting
- He has singularly written three textbooks on Lighting and has contributed to numerous other texts and journal articles, details of which can be found under 'My Publications'.
- He is a Committee Member of British Standards Institution (BSI) EL/001 - Light & Lighting and a UK member of CEN TC 169/WG4 - Sports Lighting
- He also designs scientific and engineering calculators including calculators for the mesurement of: - Visual acuity, Domestic central heating, Liquefied natural gas (LNG), Hydraulic pumps and motors, Guideline Daily Amounts (GDA), Humidity, Geographical Range and Luminous Range