Dr Penny Tinkler - further information
I am available to supervise PhDs on:
- gender and/or age, contemporary or historical
- young people, youth cultures, youthful femininities, education (present/past)
- consumption, especially historical
- media, including moral panics
- research topics that are explored using visual, especially photographic, methods
- qualitative research involving biographical and historical perspectives
- photographic practices present/past
- research that addresses historical questions
- women historically
- L. Fenton ‘Women and Drinking in Post War and Contemporary Britain.’ 2011 onwards.
- J. Bennett ‘Self Identity, Place and Community’. Awarded 2012.
- A. West ‘The Role of Risk in Mediating the Identities and Practices of Rock Climbers.’ Awarded 2012.
- D. Ilugbuhi ‘Adolescent sexuality and HIV/Aids in Nigeria.’ Awarded 2010.
- A. Pechurina ‘Russian Communities in the UK.’ Awarded 2010.
- L. Gibson ‘Popular music and the life course’. Awarded 2010.
- S. Aguilar-Rodriguez ‘Cooking Modernity: Food, Gender, and Class in 1940s and 1950s Mexico.’ Awarded 2009.
- J. Heynes ‘An exploration of girls’ perceptions of, and views on, the representation of women and gender in religious education.’ Awarded 2008.
- J. van Hooff: ‘The experiences of different generations in heterosexual relationships.’ Awarded 2006.
- S. Khamis ‘Egyptian women and television’s “public awareness” programmes.’ Awarded 2000.
- Gender, Time and Change – 3rd year module.
- Visualizing Society and Social Life – PGT module.
Media availability – girls, young people 1900-70; smoking.
Media experience: Radio 4 Today programme (6/3/12); BBC 4 ‘Timeshift' (4/1/12); BBC Radio 2, ‘Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette’ (19/6/07); BBC North West Tonight (29/6/07); Radio 4 Woman’s Hour (21/11/2000, 27/10/06); BBC Radio 5 Live (1/7/05). I've written features on girls’ magazines (Independent on Sunday Life magazine, pp.1-2. 19/1/03) and on the PhD examination (THES 21/5/04, 19/3/04, 21/10/05).
Or contact the Faculty of Humanities, Media Relations Officer: Mike Addelman on 0044 (0)161 275 0790, mobile 07717 881567