Dr Steven Jones - personal details
Role: Senior Lecturer
Tel: 0161 275-3411
Ellen Wilkinson Building-A5.13
School of Environment, Education and Development
The University of Manchester
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- My "Manchester Asks" event with the Director of the Office of Fair Access, Prof Les Ebdon
- My academic blog - "H.E. Watch"
- My article feed for "The Conversation"
- My interview with BBC TV News
- My piece for the LSE about David Willetts' legacy
- My presentation for the Education and Employers Taskforce
- My report for the Sutton Trust - "The Personal Statement: a fair way to assess university applicants?"
- My Twitter feed - @StevenJones_MCR
Since completing my PhD (funded by the Engineering and Physical Science Research Council) in 1999, I've lectured at several UK universities. My undergraduate teaching is now mostly in English Language and Linguistics, and my postgraduate supervision and research mostly in the field of (Higher) Education.
At the University of Manchester, I run the PGCert in Higher Education. I was previously Director of Undergraduate Studies (2007-2010) and Director of Social Responsibility (2010-2011) for the School of Education, and an academic lead for the Faculty of Humanities New Academics Programme (2012-14).
I'm a member of the Sutton Trust Research Group, and have given papers at major international conferences in Mannheim and Freiburg (Germany), Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium), Verona and Bertinoro (Italy) and San Francisco and Chicago (USA). I've been interviewed about language use on BBC TV's The One Show (2010, 2011) and about my Higher Education research on BBC Radio Four's Today programme (2012). My funders have included the British Academy, the Society for Research in Higher Education, the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and the Sutton Trust, and I've undertaken consultancy work for OFFA and HEFCE. I've presented research findings to Universities UK (2012), the Employers and Education Taskforce (2011, 2012, 2014) and the Department of Business, Innovation & Skills (2014), as well as delivering a Westminster Briefing (2013) and speaking at the Sunday Times Festival of Education (2013).