Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Menu Search the University of Manchester siteSearch
Search type

Alternatively, use our A–Z index

Entry requirements

All Erasmus+ students must be nominated by their home university. Students must meet the minimum entry requirements of The University of Manchester.

The University of Manchester has high academic standards and our entry requirements reflect this. In order to apply to study abroad at The University of Manchester you must satisfy the criteria below.

You should also check with your home university as to whether they have any requirements you have to meet in order to be eligible to study abroad.

Current undergraduate

You must be a current undergraduate of a university or college of higher education and be in good standing at that institution.

Academic standing

We normally require at least a B average. This average should be maintained during the period of study immediately preceding the semester or year to be spent at The University of Manchester.

English Language entry requirements

While we do not ask for language proficiency certificates from Erasmus+ students, all students are expected to have English language proficiency to the minimum levels given below.

The standard requirement is IELTS 6.0 with not less than 5.5 in any one component. However, certain subject areas require higher scores as follows:

  • Accounting and Finance, Business, Life Sciences, Management – IELTS 6.5
  • Education, English Literature, Law, History – IELTS 7.0

We also accept equivalent scores in TOEFL, Pearson Test of English and Cambridge Secure English Language Tests.

UK Visas and Immigration English language requirements

As most Erasmus+ students are EU nationals, they are able to enter the UK for study without a visa, and must therefore simply have a level of English in line with our requirements above.

If, however, you are a non-EU national applying to study with us for a full academic year under the Erasmus+ programme, and English is not your first language, you need to provide a Secure English Language Test (SELT) certificate showing that you meet both The University of Manchester's and UK Visas and Immigration's requirements.