MSc Medical Virology / Overview
Year of entry: 2016
- Degree awarded
- MSc: 12/24 mths (FT/PT); PGDip: 9/24 mths (FT/PT)
- Entry requirements
An honours degree (minimum Upper Second) or overseas equivalent is required for direct entry to the course.
Non-standard applicants will be considered on an individual basis, but may be required to enrol initially on the postgraduate diploma course.
Our course is suitable for graduates in:
- medical laboratory sciences
- veterinary medicine
- other biology degrees with an element of microbiology.
- Number of places/applicants
- 15 - 20 places are available for the September 2016 intake
- How to apply
To give you the greatest opportunity to join our course and make the admissions process as quick and easy as possible, we recommend that you read the guidance below.
We recommend that you apply as early as possible. Applications will remain open until the beginning of the next academic year; however, we reserve the right to close applications earlier if the course is full.
Your application form must be accompanied by supporting documents.
- Two academic references on letter-headed paper, signed and dated within six months of the application submission date. References emailed directly from a referee's academic email address will also be accepted. Professional references can be provided in instances where you have been out of university for more than five years prior to applying and the work undertaken is in a field related to the course. We do not contact referees directly, so please inform them yourself.
- Copies of official degree certificates (with translations if not in English).
- Copies of official University transcripts (with translations if not in English).
- A scanned copy of your passport.
- Proof of English language proficiency (if required).
Supporting documents can be uploaded with the online application form, or sent directly to email@example.com . After applying, please do not submit documents in any other way without telling us first so we can provide you with the most efficient service.
Please make sure you include your University ID number on any correspondence and do not send any documents before you have submitted your application.
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
In the era of AIDS, avian and swine Influenza, and other emerging viral infections, the importance of medical virology as a co-discipline with medical microbiology is increasingly recognised.
The MSc and Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Virology are intensive full-time or part-time postgraduate taught courses encompassing the medical and molecular aspects of virology, bacteriology and mycology, as well as immunity to infection and epidemiology.
You will explore the current issues and concepts in medical virology, and acquire the academic and practical skills necessary to make independent, informed judgements in relation to these issues.
A unique feature of this course is the focus on practical, laboratory-based teaching; you will spend time in the laboratory, learning how to be a virologist.
We aim to give you a theoretical and practical understanding of medical virology, which will be important if you want to follow a career in clinical sciences or academic or industrial research.short film about studying for MSc/Dp Medical Microbiology and MSc/Dp Medical Virology at the The University of Manchester.
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2016, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK/EU students (per annum): £9,500
International students (per annum): £21,500
UK/EU students (per annum): £4,750
International students (per annum): £10,750
UK/EU students (per annum): £6,333
International students (per annum): £14,333
UK/EU students (per annum): £3,167
International students (per annum): £7,167
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for international students for the course duration at the year of entry).
For general fees information please visit postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1,000 towards their tuition fees or provide a sponsor letter (which we must first confirm), before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.
- Academic department
- Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences
- Contact name
- PGT Admissions Team
- +44 (0)161 275 1648
- Academic department overview
See: About the Faculty
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.