The University of Manchester offers a student experience like no other.
- a campus with a strong community feel, with almost 3,500 postgraduate research students among our population;
- brand new and recently refurbished buildings, thanks to the largest facilities investment in the history of British higher education;
- one of the UK’s most popular student cities just minutes away.
You'll end up gaining much more than a degree here.
The University of Manchester is large, yet compact enough to give the best of both worlds: city life and a campus community.
Our campus occupies a large area close to the city centre, allowing students, staff, businesses and the wider public to come together, share ideas and collaborate. It is dominated by grand Victorian buildings but also has quiet corners, landscaped gardens, cafes and common rooms where you can relax and spend time with friends.
Getting around the campus is easy. Everything is within walking distance or connected via a free bus service.
Think of it as a village within a city.
We are undertaking the biggest investment programme ever seen in UK higher education – we have already invested £750 million in buildings and facilities since 2004 and we are now putting another £1 billion into further teaching and student facilities.
Libraries and study spaces
The University of Manchester Library is one of the best-resourced academic libraries in the UK. Widely recognised as one of the world’s great research libraries, the Library provides over 4 million printed books, more than 500,000 eBooks and access to 41,000 electronic journals and hundreds of online databases.
Alongside traditional library services, we offer self-service facilities, state-of-the-art group study areas, an in-house binding service and Wi-Fi throughout. Our £24 million Alan Gilbert Learning Commons provides a stimulating 24/7 environment for study, combining inspiring decor with flexible spaces and the latest in learning technology.
Across campus several specialist libraries offer subject-specific and tailored services. The John Rylands Library, a magnificent neo-Gothic building housing one of the world’s finest collections of rare books and manuscripts, offers a vast array of resources that are available for you to use. It is also a thriving visitor attraction, with exhibitions and events taking place throughout the year.
Find out more at the University of Manchester Library website.
The University’s teaching and research activities are supported by extensive IT services. The fact that we’ve got the largest server farm in the north west of England should give you an idea of the breadth and scale of our technologies. Our facilities and services include:
- more than 3,200 student PCs accessing a huge range of software, academic data and resources from across the world;
- extensive Wi-Fi coverage across campus, including access to the international eduroam network;
- fully networked University halls of residence, providing high-speed Internet access from your room;
- 24/7 access to computers at the Alan Gilbert Learning Commons;
- dedicated IT Service Desk support, including a 24/7 telephone helpline;
- the iManchester smartphone app.
You can learn more about our IT facilities at our IT Services website.
Find out more about our campus and the extracurricular activities on offer here.
An industrial pioneer, a sporting pace-setter, a cultural giant – Manchester is all these and more.
We’ll ensure you receive all the help you need to increase your skills and set your career on course.
Manchester has accommodation options to suit all requirements, ensuring you’ll quickly feel at home.