Discover Planning, Urban Design and Environmental Management – Tuesday, 19 December 2017
Our cities and towns are shaped by decisions made every day by planners, urban designers and environmental managers.
On this Discover Day you'll find out more about how you can be involved in shaping the places we live. You’ll learn:
- why cities and towns need to be adapted for the future;
- how the built environment interacts with the natural world;
- how planners, urban designers and environmental managers can help shape human behaviour by creating greener, friendlier and more sustainable cities;
- what it’s like to study Planning and Environmental Management at The University of Manchester;
- the careers available in planning and environmental management, and how you can begin your journey.
This Discover Day is a practical, hands-on experience with talks, demonstrations and practical tasks to give you a flavour of what planners, urban designers and environmental managers actually do. You’ll also get a chance to quiz our current students about what they enjoy about their course and the type of careers they hope to enter.
Manchester is a great place to study planning and environmental management. Based in the world’s first industrial city, we are one of the longest-established and largest planning schools in the country. As a vibrant, cosmopolitan, modern city, Manchester is the perfect 'urban laboratory' to help us understand how cities and the landscape work.
(Please note this programme is subject to change.)
|9.30am–10am||Arrival, registration and refreshments|
|10am–10.15am||Welcome and introduction|
|10.15am–10.30am||Presentation: Designing Greener Cities|
|10.30am–11.15am||Interactive workshop: urban design and environmental management task|
|11.15am–11.30am||Presentation: Planning the Northern Powerhouse|
|11.30am–12.15pm||Interactive workshop: northern powerhouse transport workshop|
|1pm–2.15pm||Presentation: Studying Planning and Environmental Management at The University of Manchester (incorporating careers information)|
|2.15pm–2.50pm||Question-and-answer session with current students|
|2.50pm–3pm||How to find out more|