Italian and Portuguese (4 Years) [BA]
View tabs | View full page
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
- Degree awarded
- 4 years
- Typical A-level offer
- BBB including one of the languages to be studied
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
31 points overall (core points accepted), to include 5 in three higher level subjects, including one of the languages to be studied
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS
BA (Hons) Italian and Portuguese
Provides students with a detailed knowledge of both the language and culture of Italy from the medieval period to the present day as well as a strong grounding in Portuguese language and develop a sophisticated understanding of topics affecting Portuguese speaking populations across the world.
- Students develop detailed knowledge of both the language and culture of Italy from the medieval period to the present day.
- The range of culture units offered across all years of the programme combine the study of the history, politics, literary, linguistic and visual culture of the peninsula and are taught by a range of specialists within these fields.
- We also offer a linguistics pathway through the degree programme for those interested in the history of the Italian language and its dialects.
- Assessment comprises a variety of methods including coursework essays, commentaries, presentations and exams. Language courses, taught by native speakers, involve comprehension, translation, grammar, and oral work.
- The course gives students a thorough grounding in the languages and cultures of the Portuguese-speaking world.
- Students study both European and Brazilian Portuguese.
- They also explore a range of options in areas such as contemporary culture, colonialism, literature and cinema from Brazil, Portugal, Mozambique and Angola.
Year 3 is spent split between Italian- and Portuguese-speaking countries (on university exchange, work placement, or teaching as an English-language assistant).
The University holds Open Days regularly (usually June, September and October) where you have the opportunity to tour the campus and find out more about the facilities and courses we offer.
On this day you will find out more about the School and its resources, and meet members of academic and admissions staff who will be able to answer any questions you have.
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2016 will be £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £15,500 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate fees pages.
Compare this course
This course is delivered by:
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.