BA Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies / Overview
Year of entry: 2016
BA (Hons) Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
- The course gives students a thorough grounding in the languages and cultures of the Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking worlds.
- Alongside their advanced study of Spanish language, students explore a range of options in film, history and literature from the Spanish-speaking world.
- Students study both European and Brazilian Portuguese alongside a range of options in areas such as contemporary culture, colonialism, literature and cinema from Brazil, Portugal, Mozambique and Angola.
- After Year One Portuguese language is not compulsory and students can (a) choose to concentrate more on the Spanish side of their degree, (b) maintain the balance between the languages, or (c) by Year Four opt to study more in Portuguese than Spanish.
- Year 3 is spent abroad, either in a Spanish-speaking country or split between Portuguese- and Spanish-speaking countries (on university exchange, work placement, or teaching as an English-language assistant).
The University holds Open Days regularly (usually June, September and October) where you have the opportunity to tour the campus and find out more about the facilities and courses we offer.
On this day you will find out more about the School and its resources, and meet members of academic and admissions staff who will be able to answer any questions you have.
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2016 will be £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £15,500 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate finance pages.
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.