BA English Literature with Creative Writing / Overview
Year of entry: 2016
- Degree awarded
- 3 years
- Typical A-level offer
Grades AAA-AAB, including Grade A Eng Lit or Eng Lang & Lit.
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
37-35 points overall (core points accepted), including 7 points in English Literature at Higher level, plus 6 or 7 in two further Higher Level subjects.
- Number of places/applicants
- 15 / 150
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS
This is a small, specialised creative writing pathway within an English Literature degree. Students will take 25% of their credits in creative writing (both fiction and poetry).
The course covers the full range of English literature from Old English to the present day. The creative writing component of the course focuses on fiction and poetry writing. The course will introduce you to techniques of fiction and poetry writing and develop your understanding of i) the craft of writing ii) the nature and necessity of revision and iii) the importance of being able to give and receive constructive feedback.
The creative writing component of the degree will be taught in small group workshops. Students will write their own poems and stories regularly, read relevant work from established writers, and respond to examples of contemporary poetry and fiction. There will be in-class writing exercises and an introduction to workshopping.
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2016 will be £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £15,500 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate finance pages.
- English Literature
- English Literature and a Modern Language (Portuguese)
- American Studies
- English Literature and a Modern Language (French)
- English Literature and a Modern Language (German)
- English Literature and a Modern Language (Italian)
- English Literature and a Modern Language (Russian)
- English Literature and a Modern Language (Spanish)
- Latin and English Literature
- Drama and English Literature
- History and American Studies
- English Literature and American Studies
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.