BAEcon Economics / Overview
Year of entry: 2017
- Degree awarded
- BA (Hons)
- 3 years
- Typical A-level offer
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
35 points overall. 6,6,5 at Higher Level. No lower than 5 in any subject.
- Number of places/applicants
- In 2015 there were 1560 applications for 142 places on this pathway of the BA (Hons) Economic and Social Studies course.
- How to apply
- Are you looking for an engaged and interactive learning and studying experience?
- Do you want to develop an awareness of the contribution of the social sciences to understanding contemporary society?
- Looking for a course that prepares you for employment or further study in relevant areas at MA/MSc/PhD level?
- Would you like a chance to study abroad for a semester?
The Economics pathway of the BA (Hons) Economic and Social Studies programme - or BA (Econ) for short - is a long-established and popular degree.
Taught by experts from the largest Economics department in the UK, you'll benefit from their research-led teaching and have a wide range of course units to choose from depending on your interests. We offer:
- Quantitative options (eg econometrics, operational research and mathematical economics);
- Modules with a real-world focus eg management, business, development, micro and macroeconomics;
- Course units from the broader social sciences (eg politics and sociology).
You will learn about what drives economic systems and acquire the skills to model and quantify these systems - skills that are particularly relevant for professional economist, but are also keenly sought by a wide range of employers.
Economics (L100), Economics & Politics (LL12), Economics & Sociology (LL13), Economics & Philosophy (LV15)
and Development Studies (L900) all share a common first year. After your first year you can apply to switch to a different pathway.
Please only apply for one of these courses to start with.
- Find out more and register for an Open Day
If you are made an offer we will email you an invitation to visit us late January, February or early March. These afternoons are organised by the School of Social Sciences and include a tour, a talk, refreshments and a chance to talk to students, lecturers and recruitment staff.
If you are visiting Manchester and would like to visit our admissions office please make an appointment in advance. (Call +44 (0)161 275 4470/1473 or email email@example.com )
Fees for entry in 2017 have not yet been set. For entry in 2016 the tuition fees were £9,000 per annum for home/EU students, and are expected to increase slightly for 2017 entry.
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.