English Literature and a Modern Language (Italian) (4 Years) [BA]
View tabbed content | View all content (for printing)
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
- Degree awarded
- 4 years
- Typical A-level offer
Grades AAB-ABB inc English Literature or Eng Lang & Lit (grade A), and a Mod Foreign Lang
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
33-36 points overall
Higher Level Requirements
- English Literature (7)
- Modern Foreign Language (6)
- A Further Subject (5)
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS.
BA (Hons) English Literature and a Modern Language (Italian)
- Gives students the opportunity to experience teaching from across 2 broad areas of the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures bringing together expertise across a wide range of Subject Areas.
- This four-year course will take students on a broadly chronological journey of English Literature from the Anglo Saxon period through to the present day. Alongside this, students will undertake a core language course and cultural content courses in their chosen language of study
- Students will develop detailed knowledge of both the language and culture of Italy from the medieval period to the present day.
- The range of culture units offered across all years of the programme combine the study of the history, politics, literary, linguistic and visual culture of the peninsula. These units reflect the research interests of academic staff.
- We also offer a linguistics pathway through the degree programme for those interested in the history of the Italian language and its dialects.
- Assessment is undertaken using a variety of methods including coursework essays, commentaries, presentations and exams.Language courses, taught by native speakers, will involve comprehension, translation, grammar, and oral work.
- The third year of the programme is spent abroad in Italy
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2013 will be approximately £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £13,000 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate fees pages.
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
Academic department overview
See: About us
Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 3211
Facsimile: +44 (0)161 275 3031