History and American Studies (3 Years) [BA]
View tabs | View full page
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
- Degree awarded
- 3 years
- Number of places/applicants
- Typical A-level offer
AAB to include Grade A in History. Two Grade A AS levels may be accepted in place of one A-level.
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
35 points overall (core points accepted), including 6 or 7 points in three Higher level subjects, one of which must be History
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS
The BA (Hons) History and American Studies is an interdisciplinary degree course which offers students the opportunity to combine study of the history, literature, film, politics and popular culture of the United States with the opportunity to study diverse historical periods and cultures, whilst developing your own research and analytical skills to a high level.
In the second year you can choose to go abroad for one semester or for the whole year, or instead you can stay in Manchester. Students in Manchester select from a range of courses offered in American Studies and History. There are four possible pathways that students can follow:
- Study at the University of Manchester for the whole year
- Study at the University of California for the whole year
- Study in Manchester for the first semester, then spend the second semester in the United States or Canada (at a range of selected US and Canadian universities)
- Study in Manchester for the first semester, then spend the second semester in Europe (Exchange partners are offered to all students at the University through the Erasmus Exchange scheme (in Europe).
If you apply to us and receive an offer, you will be invited to one of the subject visit days.
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2014 will be approximately £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £14,000 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate fees pages.
Compare this course
- Academic department
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- Contact name
- Darren Jackson
- (00 44) (0)161-275 3107
- (00 44) (0)161-275 3098
Academic department overview
See: About us