English Literature and a Modern Language (Portuguese) (4 Years) [BA]
View tabs | View full page
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
- Degree awarded
- 4 years
- Typical A-level offer
ABB including English Lit or English Lang & Lit (grade A) and a GCSE modern foreign language
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
34 points overall (core points accepted), to include higher level English Literature (6) and 5 in two further higher level subjects. Plus GCSE modern foreign language (grade B)
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS
BA (Hons) English Literature and a Modern Language (Portuguese)
- Gives students the opportunity to experience teaching from across 2 broad areas of the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures bringing together expertise across a wide range of Subject Areas.
- This four-year course will take students on a broadly chronological journey of English Literature from the Anglo Saxon period through to the present day. Alongside this, students will undertake a core language course and cultural content courses in their chosen language of study.
- Students will study either European or Brazilian Portuguese throughout the course alongside a range of cultural modules in areas such as contemporary culture, colonialism, literature and cinema from Brazil, Mozambique and Portugal.
- Students will develop a strong grounding in Portuguese language and develop a sophisticated understanding of topics affecting Portuguese-speaking populations across the world.
- The University hold open days twice a year (usually June and October) where you have the opportunity to tour the campus and find out more about the facilities and courses we offer.
- If your application is successful you will be invited to a visit day specifically for your area of study. On this day you will find out more about the School and its resources, meet members of staff and current students and discuss study aims and qualifications with admissions staff.
- We do not normally interview applicants. We make offers after carefully considering your UCAS application.
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2014 will be approximately £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £14,000 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate fees pages.
Compare this course
- Academic department
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- +44 (0)161 275 3211
- +44 (0)161 275 3031
Academic department overview
See: About us