COVID vaccination and testing on campus

Last updated: Tuesday, 5 April

We’re adjusting our COVID-19 guidance in line with the latest government recommendations and updated information will be published as soon as possible. For the latest advice, please use the UK government’s coronavirus information.

To help protect yourself and others, we encourage everyone on campus to follow our ”hands, face, space” safety guidelines


Vaccination provides the best protection against COVID-19. We strongly recommend all staff and students to take up their vaccinations as soon as they are eligible.

Everyone in the UK aged five and over is eligible to receive the vaccine for free – including EU and international students. If necessary, you can have your vaccine doses at different locations.

If you're registered with a GP in England, you can use the NHS vaccine booking service to book your vaccination appointment (for first, second and booster doses). We advise all our students to register with a local GP.

In addition to the booked appointment options, Manchester City Council has a list of pop-up vaccination sites that you can use.

If you've already had your first dose, you'll receive either the same vaccine or the most similar alternative for your second dose (see page 15 of the government guidance document (PDF, 832KB)).

For your booster, it is likely you’ll be offered a dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine. This means your booster dose may be different from the vaccines you had for your first and second doses.

Some places in England may ask for your COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of entry. Find out how to get an NHS COVID Pass. The University doesn't require that you get vaccinated to come to campus.

Vaccinated outside the UK?

A number of vaccines are recognised by UK authorities. If you've had one dose of Moderna, Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer/BioNTech or Janssen, you can get a second dose of the same vaccine for free in the UK. The Janssen vaccine is a single dose vaccine. Sinovac-CoronaVac, Sinopharm Beijing and Covaxin vaccines are also recognised in the UK.

If you have had a vaccine not approved in the UK, you should contact your GP or attend a vaccination centre to discuss whether you need further vaccination.

Find out more in our guidance on travel and quarantine.


We encourage everyone on campus to take a COVID-19 test as frequently as possible.

Lateral flow home testing kits

Lateral flow tests (LFTs) are for people who don't have symptoms. You use a swab to take a sample from your tonsils (or where they would be) and your nose, and you get a result in around 30 minutes. Remember to report your result on the NHS website or app, even if it's negative.

You can purchase home test kits from your local pharmacy. 

PCR testing centres

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you can take a PCR test. There are test centres close to campus, in Denmark Road Building on Aberdeen Street (M13 9NL) and Armitage Centre Front Car Park on Mosely Road (M14 6PA).

If you have a disability and require additional support, please speak to our Disability Advisory and Support Service. You can also contact our Occupational Health Service who can provide assisted testing at their Crawford House site and are happy to discuss any concerns you may have relating to COVID-19 and your own health.

Should you test positive, please report this to the University

If you are travelling to campus from outside the UK, check our FAQs for EU and international students.