Faculty and School research departments
Our size allows a breadth of research activity that can be matched by few universities.
Academics at the forefront of their field work in an academic School within one of our three Faculties. To find out more about the research activities taking place in across the University, select a School from the list below.
Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
The Faculty's research is focused on eight key research domains.
- Cardiovascular, metabolic and nutritional sciences
- Cellular and development systems
- Evolution, systems and genomics
- Infection, immunity, inflammation and repair
- Neuroscience and mental health
- Platform sciences and technologies
- Population health and ecosystems
Browse the Faculty's research by School and Division using the University's Research Explorer.
Get an overview of the Faculty's research strength on the Biology, Medicine and Health website.
Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Materials
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
Get an overview of the Faculty’s research at the Science and Engineering website.
Faculty of Humanities
- Alliance Manchester Business School
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- School of Social Sciences
Get an overview of the Faculty’s research at the Humanities website.
The University of Manchester Research Institute
As well as the research activity taking place across our Faculties, we also conduct a range of high-profile research that combines the best minds from various disciplines, coordinated by our University of Manchester Research Institute.