Research institutes and platforms
The scale of our interdisciplinary research activity sets us apart. We're able to combine disciplines and capabilities to meet both the challenges of leading-edge research and the external demands of government, business and communities.
The University of Manchester Research Institute
The University of Manchester Research Institute (UMRI) is central to our goal, outlined in our vision and strategic plan, of building on our path-breaking interdisciplinary research.
UMRI enables us to achieve this by ensuring that the necessary structures, resources, incentives and governance frameworks are in place. It also nurtures the emergence of new cross-cutting themes and networks.
University interdisciplinary research institutes
Our interdisciplinary research institutes are established where we have achieved, or aspire to, world-leading status.
- Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute
- Cathie Marsh Institute for Social Research
- Christabel Pankhurst Institute for Health Technology Research and Innovation
- Dalton Nuclear Institute
- Global Development Institute
- Henry Royce Institute
- Humanitarian and Conflict Response Institute
- Institute for Health Policy and Organisation
- Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- John Rylands Research Institute and Library
- Lydia Becker Institute of Immunology and Inflammation
- Manchester Cancer Research Centre
- Manchester China Institute
- Manchester Environmental Research Institute
- Manchester Institute for Collaborative Research on Ageing
- Manchester Institute of Biotechnology
- Manchester Institute of Innovation Research
- Manchester Urban Institute
- National Graphene Institute
- Photon Science Institute
- Productivity Institute
- Sustainable Consumption Institute
- Thomas Ashton Institute
- Work and Equalities Institute
Research platforms have a university-wide reach and support the research, external engagement and impact of the activities of our institutes and individual academics (typically several hundred academics are affiliated to a platform).
Our research beacons are examples of pioneering discoveries, interdisciplinary collaboration and cross-sector partnerships that are tackling some of the biggest questions facing the planet.
Find out more about the pioneering research underway: