Our research challenges
Sustainable Futures is arranged around a number of interconnected ‘challenge areas’
- Resilient futures: fulfilling societal functions in the face of accumulating and disruptive environmental change at various scales, whilst ensuring our natural environments are protected, restored and sustained.
- Resourceful futures: providing for human needs in ways that sustainably manage finite resources and recover value from rather than lose materials into the environment.
- Net-zero futures: delivering rapid emissions reductions and enhancing our ability to remove and store carbon.
- Healthy futures: managing risks to humans and ecosystems and realising the benefits of transitioning to an environmentally sustainable future.
- Inclusive and prosperous futures: delivering environmental sustainability through a just transition that enables communities to thrive.