Preparing for Manchester

Getting the grades is just the start. There can be a lot to think about before coming to University, that's why we've put together this essential guide to help you prepare for Manchester.

Are you a UK or international student? Choose a button below to get the right information for you.

UK International

Your offer

Replying to your offer


Check UCAS Track for details of your offer, including any conditions, and monitor the status of your application.

UCAS will contact you when all your decisions have been received, and ask you to reply to these. You accept and decline your offers through UCAS Track. You do not need to contact the University.

Find out more about replying to your offers via UCAS.


The specific conditions of your offer are set out in a formal offer letter. It will tell you exactly what you need to do to accept your offer, and to meet any conditions.

You will be given a user ID and password to log into self-service, where you can reply to your offer.

Find out about your postgraduate taught offer or your postgraduate research offer.  

Conditional offers

If you have a conditional offer this means you’ll need to meet certain conditions before we can confirm your place. Conditions vary, but they usually specify the achievement of certain grades or qualifications.

Sometimes conditional offers will include English language requirements. The University Language Centre offers pre-sessional English courses to help you meet those requirements.

Occasionally a conditional offer will include non-academic requirements such as a DBS check (criminal record check) or a medical fitness assessment.

Any conditions of your offer will be made clear in your offer letter (postgraduates) or on UCAS Track (undergraduates).

Unconditional offers

This means you have already met the academic entry requirements.

You may still need to meet non-academic requirements such as a DBS check (criminal record check) or a medical fitness assessment. This will be made clear in your offer letter (postgraduates) or on UCAS Track (undergraduates).


Tuition fees

All university students in the UK are required to pay tuition fees. Your offer letter from The University of Manchester will state how much you need to pay.

Fees are paid as part of the registration process at the beginning of the year.

Support for tuition fees

EEA and Swiss students

Most EEA and Swiss undergraduate students take out a tuition fee loan and/or maintenance loan from the government to cover some or all of the fees.

Postgraduate taught students can also get a master’s loan from the government.

Postgraduate research funding is available from various sources.

International students (non-EEA or Swiss) 

If you’re coming from outside the EEA or Switzerland, you need to make sure you have funds (or a sponsor or scholarship) to cover your tuition fees.

Tuition fee deposit

If you are an international (non-EEA/EU) student studying on a one-year taught master’s course, you are required to pay a mandatory tuition fee deposit.

There are some exemptions. Please see our website for detailed, up-to-date information.



Immigration permission to study in Manchester

EEA and Swiss students

If you are a citizen of the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to enter the UK freely and have the right to live here while you are studying, without immigration permission.

International students (non-EEA or Swiss)

If you’re enrolled on a programme of study which is longer than six months, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa.

If you’re studying on a short course of six months or less, or an English language course of up to 11 months, you can apply for a Short Term Student Visa.

Detailed information and guidance on the visa application process can be found on our student support site.

Arriving in the UK

If you are coming to Manchester from outside the EEA and are travelling on a visa, you will need to answer questions and provide documentation at the airport immigration control when you arrive in the UK. 


Health and wellbeing


We strongly recommend you are vaccinated against Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Meningitis ACWY before you come to university. 

If you’re coming from abroad, it’s important to make sure you get these vaccinations before you leave. If you are unable to do so, you can get them from your GP (local doctor) once you’ve arrived.

Depending where you are from, you may also need a certificate to prove you are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB) as part of your visa application.

UK healthcare

EEA and Switzerland

Treatment is available for free on the National Health Service (NHS) to all students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland who are studying in the UK.

You will need a valid European Heath Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by your home country to access free NHS care.

Healthcare in the UK.

Non-EEA and Switzerland

If you are studying for more than six months you will be entitled to receive NHS treatment, but you need to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of your visa application.

Citizens of Australia and New Zealand are exempt from paying the immigration health surcharge.

If you are not eligible for free NHS treatment, you should take out private medical insurance.

Healthcare in the UK.


University accommodation

The University’s huge range of accommodation means we've got something for all tastes and budgets.

Find out what our students think about University accommodation.

If you’re a new, full-time undergraduate student you may be eligible for our accommodation guarantee, provided you meet certain criteria.

You must submit your application by 31 August in order to qualify for this guarantee.

Private accommodation

There is plenty of private accommodation across the city. Manchester Student Homes can provide details of privately rented properties, independent housing advice and a free contract checking service.

If you’re coming from abroad, they can give you a list of landlords that do not require a UK-based guarantor.

Landlords need to check that you have valid immigration permission to be in the UK, so you will be asked to provide your passport and visa when you rent a property. 

Things to consider before moving

If you’re living in private accommodation, you’ll need to let the council know if you’re a full-time student, and exempt from council tax, and take out contents insurance.

If you’re in University accommodation, these will be sorted out on your behalf.

Wherever you’re living, you’ll need to make sure you have a TV licence.


Bringing your family

Some undergraduates and many postgraduates bring their families with them to Manchester for the duration of their study.

If you are thinking of bringing your family from outside the EEA/EU, make sure you understand all the immigration rules and find out exactly what is required before you and your family travel to the UK.

Family accommodation

The University has limited accommodation for couples and families with children, and it does get taken quickly, so if you’re looking for family accommodation, apply as soon as possible.

There are also plenty of family-friendly private rentals across Manchester.