If you are studying at The University of Manchester for a full academic year and have submitted an accommodation application form by 31 July, you will usually be guaranteed University accommodation.

An online application form and further information about University accommodation can be found on the Accommodation Office website.

Students coming for one semester only are not guaranteed a room in University accommodation, although they may still apply.

Rooms for students who are guaranteed a room, (ie full-year students and students taking full degrees at Manchester), are allocated first by the Accommodation Office, usually in late August.

This means that semester-only students who are allocated a room may not be notified until the beginning of September.

Types of accommodation

The University offers you a wide range of residential accommodation, ranging from modern self-catering apartments through to traditional collegiate-style halls of residence that include most meals.

All students are given their own room and some even include en suite bathrooms. All rooms have Ethernet connections.

Some halls have specially adapted flats or rooms for students with a disability, and some catered halls are able to assist if you have special dietary requirements.

Please note that catered halls do not provide catering during University vacation periods, ie Christmas and Easter.

A community atmosphere

Your residence is the place where you'll meet new friends and spend a lot of your free time. These are self-contained communities with their own bars, common rooms and a hectic programme of social activities.

Additionally, halls of residence have their own sports teams – rugby, hockey, cricket, netball and squash are just some of the sports available – and some have other social groups in-house – orchestras, choirs, drama groups and other societies.

You can also search for accommodation that matches your requirements using our search facility:

Safety and security

Your safety is of the utmost importance to us.

CCTV cameras are sited across the campus and at each hall. Security guards man campus entrances and patrol hall grounds 24 hours a day and every hall has a swipe-card entry system.

Private sector housing

As an alternative, you may wish to consider private sector housing. You can find more information on this at Manchester Student Homes website.