How to apply
To apply for The University of Manchester’s exchange programme, use our online application system.
Before you enter our online system, you should download and print our 'How to Apply Online' guidance notes. We recommend that you work through these notes as you are completing your application.
- How to Apply Online guidance notes (PDF document, 631KB)
As part of the online application you must complete, scan and upload the required supporting documentation. For non-EU exchange students the required supporting documentation is listed below:
- Most recent academic transcript
- Proposed study plan form (PDF document, 46KB)
- Personal statement (PDF document, 38KB)
- Exchange partner or agent/representative nomination form (PDF document, 50KB)
- Fall assessment approval form (PDF document, 50KB)
- English Language Proficiency Certificate (if applicable)
- A scanned copy of the ID page of your passport
You will probably find it helpful to have all these documents scanned and ready before you begin your online application. Remember that we cannot fully consider your application until we have received all your supporting documents. You need not send us hard copies of anything once you have submitted your application online.
Remember that before you apply to us you must follow your home university’s application procedure to secure nomination as an exchange student.
- Apply online (Following this link will take you to a screen headed 'Postgraduate Applicant Sign On'. Please ignore this heading; this is the correct form to complete.)
- September entry – 1 June
- January entry – 1 November
Please note that for January entry you should apply as early as possible, particularly if you wish to study any of our high-demand course units.
We review and process applications in order of the date received. At busy times, it may take 4–6 weeks for us to process an application and issue an offer letter.
If you have any external deadlines that you are working towards (eg a deadline for an external scholarship), please make sure you submit your application to us at least six weeks before your external deadline.
Applying for accommodation
If you wish to apply for University accommodation for the duration of your study with us, there is a separate online accommodation application procedure which you must complete. You cannot apply for accommodation until you have received your formal offer letter.