MSc Pharmaceutical Industrial Advanced Training (PIAT) / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
Course unit details:
Pharmaceutical Packaging (PIAT 10)
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Variable teaching patterns|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This unit includes legislation and consumer aspects, the relevant properties of widely used materials, and packaging of sterile products and devices. Storage and transport, testing of packages, product security and the packaging line are also explained.
This unit deals with the packaging of pharmaceutical products. On completion of this module, you should have a clear picture of:
- the role of the pharmaceutical packaging technologist;
- how the major packaging media are used in our industry;
- the scope of national and international legislation and regulations that influence the selection and use of packaging materials.
Teaching and learning methods
The unit is provided to the student with online support from tutor.
Knowledge and understanding
- An overview of the pharmaceutical packaging operation, activities and material selection process to deliver medicine to patients in a compliant manner.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- The ability to understand the high level detail of what is required to deliver medicines to patients in a safe and compliant manner, from a packaging perspective.
- Knowledge of packaging material selection, equipment required and regulatory requirements.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||30%|
Provisional marks and feedback for coursework returned within 15 working days.
Exam marks and final marks returned after ratification at exam board.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||2|
|Independent study hours|
|Justin Wiedemann||Unit coordinator|