MSc Pharmaceutical Industrial Advanced Training (PIAT) / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
Course unit details:
Quality Assurance in Microbiology Laboratories (PMAT 5)
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Variable teaching patterns|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Principles, concepts and references used in the QA, QC, GMP and GLP of the microbiology laboratory will be covered in more detail here. The laboratory facility, equipment and consumables used along with the validation of processes, equipment and methods will also be covered.
There will also be a more detailed look at quality audits and training issues, together with the documentation control required. The management of microbiology laboratory customers will be explained.
The unit aims to:
- provide a good understanding of GMP required for a pharmaceutical microbiology laboratory;
- give a good overview of the main principles of GMP and the differences between QA and QC;
- provide a good understanding of the application of aspects of quality management systems that are applicable to the microbiology laboratory, for example validation, training and documentation standards.
Teaching and learning methods
- Distance learning with online tutor support.
- Summer school face-to-face support once per year.
Knowledge and understanding
- Basic knowledge and understanding of the principles and history of GMP for microbiology labs.
- Application of the principles to real life situations that occur in the microbiology laboratory.
- Apply learning and knowledge back in the workplace.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||30%|
How and when feedback is provided
Weighting within unit (if relevant)
Provisional marks and feedback for coursework returned within 15 working days.
Exam marks and final marks returned after ratification at exam board.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||2|
|Independent study hours|
|Matthew Shaw||Unit coordinator|