MSc Advanced Clinical Practice (Paediatrics) / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
- View tabs
- View full page
This course is aimed at those working in advanced clinical practice roles.
It offers healthcare practitioners from a range of backgrounds the opportunity to advance their practice through a tailored selection of units, each designed to give you the in-depth knowledge and skills required to autonomously manage complexities in individual patient care, as well as lead and support the transformation of healthcare services through research informed practice and leadership.
The course will equip you with:
- advanced clinical skills to apply to your specific area of practice promoting safe, effective, accessible and high quality patient care;
- the ability to apply theories of leadership and management to your role and area of advanced practice.
We offer a number of pathways including:
- postgraduate certificate;
- postgraduate diploma;
The course aims to give you an advanced level of integrated clinical knowledge and develop cutting-edge skills to help you excel as an advanced practitioner and clinical leader in your field. The highly structured academic programme will run in parallel with a work-based programme of learning.
The aims of the course are to:
- provide a flexible, multi-professional programme of clinically relevant postgraduate study to develop your skills as an advanced clinical practitioner in paediatric settings
- advance your clinical practice and service delivery through enhancement of critical thinking and synthesis of a range of sources of evidence relevant to clinical practice, to inform decision making at an individual, team and/or organisational level;
- enable you to work individually and collaboratively to meet the learning and development needs of practitioners across a range of professions;
- ensure you can meet the changing needs of children and young people, and the people who care for them, by critically evaluating current practice.
Teaching and learning
The course aims to give you an advanced level of integrated clinical knowledge and develop cutting-edge skills to help you excel as advanced practitioners and clinical leaders in your respective field.
To achieve this, the highly structured academic programme will run in parallel with a work-based programme of learning.
University based teaching and learning methods will include interactive workshops, seminars, action learning sets, group and individual tutorials, online activities, simulation and presentations). All approaches are structured to facilitate engagement in your own learning and that of your peers.
Expert practitioners will contribute to teaching, where appropriate.
Work based learning methods are likely to include a range of activities via a number of placements. You will work in partnership with your academic advisor and a workplace mentor. The latter will play a key role in supporting a range of educational opportunities.
Online learning and technology will be used. You will be supported in the development of skills to engage critically with theory, evidence and practice. A strong emphasis on independent and self-directed learning will encourage your development as an autonomous learner and practitioner.
You will use a number of assessed and non-assessed activities to develop key skills and expand your knowledge base. There are no written exams; assessment is based on assignments and other activities such as objective and structured clinical examinations and group work.
Course content for year 1
Advanced Paediatric Anatomy and Physiology (30 credits)
Advanced Paediatric Examination and Assessment (15 credits)
Course content for year 2
Reflective Teaching and Learning practice Unit (15 credits)
Independent Prescribing (30 credits)
Research Design (15 credits)
Course content for year 3
Dissertation 60 credits
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Post Graduate Research Dissertation||NURS60046||60||Mandatory|
|Advanced Paediatric Diagnostic Skills (A)||NURS60081||30||Mandatory|
|Advanced Paediatric Diagnostic Skills (B): work based learning||NURS60082||15||Mandatory|
|Effective strategies for advanced communication||NURS60092||15||Mandatory|
|Leadership in Professional Practice||NURS63332||15||Mandatory|
|Clinical Assessment, Diagnosis and Prescribing Practice||PHAR60010||15||Mandatory|
|Professional, ethical and legal prescribing, and prescribing in a wider context||PHAR60011||15||Mandatory|