MSc Biomedical Egyptology / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||School of Biological Sciences|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Provide students with experience of undertaking a piece of primary research, culminating in the production of a written dissertation.
Equip students with knowledge and practical skills to pursue a research career relevant to the masters programme.
Develop practical research expertise in chosen areas of the masters programme.
Develop presentation skills for oral presentation of new research.
Teaching and learning methods
The unit will be a supervised dissertation.
The supervisor will work with the student to ensure the research is focused and achievable as a wholly online project, and will give such advice as is necessary to ensure the student works within the guidelines of the University of Manchester
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate an understanding of Biomedical Egyptology sufficient to produce an excellent piece of primary research conducted to post-graduate standard.
- Produce a research question
- Design an experimental approach to address the question
- Submit a research proposal
- Conduct a literature review
- Produce a written communication that describes the background to the work and the work itself
- Critically analyse the data within the framework of existing knowledge
- Utilise appropriate basic science knowledge, theoretical models and concepts to design an approach to addressing a research question.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
The student will have developed the skills of:
- Written communication of complex concepts
- Research and analysis
- Critical analysis
- Time management
- Oral presentation of research
- Feedback on dissertation via Turnitin and in person
- Immediate feedback on dissertation and performance during presentation
Succeeding with Your Master’s Dissertation: Step-by-step Handbook, 4th Edition. Biggam J. The Open University Press 2018. ISBN-10: 0335243215
|Independent study hours|
|Konstantina Drosou||Unit coordinator|
|Lidija McKnight||Unit coordinator|