Scholarships for master's – Ethiopia
Scholarships are available for specific courses in engineering, environment, health sciences, development, education, textiles and law.
Civil and Mechanical Engineering
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology & Systems Management MSc
- Commercial Project Management MSc
- Construction Project Management MSc
- Engineering Project Management MSc
- Management of Projects MSc
- Mechanical Engineering Design MSc
- Reliability Engineering and Asset Management MSc
- Structural Engineering MSc
- Thermal Power & Fluid Engineering MSc
- International Development MSc
- International Development: Development Management MSc
- International Development: Environment Climate Change and Development MSc
- International Development: Globalisation, Trade and Industry MSc
- International Development: Politics, Governance and Development Policy MSc
- International Development: Poverty, Inequality and Development MSc
- International Development: Poverty Conflict and Reconstruction MSc
- International Development: Public Policy and Management MSc
- Research Methods with International Development MSc
- Management and Information Systems: Change and Development MSc (Distance Learning)
- Human Resource Management and Development (International Development) MSc (Distance Learning)
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Advanced Control and Systems Engineering MSc
- Communications and Signal Processing MSc
- Electrical Power Systems Engineering MSc
- Electrical Power Systems Engineering MSc (Distance Learning)
- Renewable Energy and Clean Technology MSc
- Environmental Governance MSc
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Management MSc
- Environmental Monitoring, Modelling and Reconstruction MSc
- Geographical Information Science MSc
- Global Urban Development and Planning MSc
- Pollution & Environmental Control MSc
Humanitarian and Conflict Response
- Corporate Governance LLM
- Intellectual Property Law LLM
- International Business and Commercial Law LLM
- International Financial Law LLM
- International Trade Transactions LLM
Medical and Health Sciences
- Biological Sciences MRes
- Cell Biology MSc
- Clinical Immunology MSc
- Medical Virology MSc
- Medical Microbiology MSc
- Public Health MPH (Web-based Learning)
- Science Communication MSc
Our master’s scholarships are aimed at talented applicants, especially from disadvantaged backgrounds. To apply for a scholarship, you must:
- 2 years work experience not including volunteering and unpaid internships;
- hold a bachelor’s degree with an overall grade of excellent, or preferably a master’s degree. The awards are for academically outstanding students and typically this means that you are in the top 10% of your class;
- be a resident citizen of Ethiopia and have not previously studied outside Africa (training of six months or less does not count);
- be committed to returning home and able to demonstrate the potential to make a positive impact on the future of Ethiopia;
- have a clear idea of how studying in Manchester will benefit both your career and the wider community.
English language requirements
An IELTS certificate is not required at the time of application. If you are shortlisted for the scholarship, you will be asked to take the IELTS test. English language requirements vary by course, but in most cases you will need a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 (with no sub-test less than 5.5) or TOEFL 570 (90 IBT) to go through to the final selection round.
How to apply
We are closed for scholarship applications for entry in September 2019. Applications for September 2020 entry will open in August 2019. Applications should be submitted online via SmartSurvey (the link will be posted here in August 2019). Please note we do not accept applications via email.
To apply you will need:
- Degree certificates and transcripts, showing subjects taken and grades achieved. (Temporary copies or certificates of graduation will suffice for this application)
- Evidence of your English Language ability (if you already have it), you will need one of the following as a minimum: IELTS score of 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in writing) or TOEFL: score of 90 (with no sub-test below 22)
- An English Language certificate is not required at the time of application. If you are shortlisted for the scholarship, you will be asked to take the IELTS or TOEFL test.
- Two up to date signed references. References must be on letter headed paper and addressed to 'Equity and Merit Scholarships at The University of Manchester'. They do not need to be sent confidentially and there is no fixed format.
Note that there is a clear separation between the process of awarding the scholarships and our admissions procedure. Scholarships are awarded entirely on merit. It is not necessary to have an academic offer of admission to apply for the scholarship. There is no advantage or disadvantage in having an academic offer. If you are selected for the scholarship you will be automatically admitted to the course of your choice.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries.