MSc ICTs for Development / Course details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Issues in the Management of Information Systems
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Global Development Institute|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This module offers participants knowledge on issues for being a hybrid IS manager, including IS strategy, project planning, resourcing IS projects, HR issues in IS management, risk management, and project monitoring and evaluation.
The aim of this module is to provide participants with opportunities to:
- learn about a range of IS project management issues, from the beginning to end of an IS project cycle
- develop an understanding of the range of skills needed in IS project management, including practical (Microsoft Project ) and social skills (negotiation, networking, managing suppliers and clients)
- knowledge of a range of IS project management issues experience in practical and social skills needed in IS project management
- an understanding of the challenges facing IS project management in developing and transitional economies
Teaching and learning methods
Lecture, lab practice of using Microsoft Management
- Prepare to be a hybrid IS manager
|Written assignment (inc essay)||70%|
In each session, the first and last 10 minutes are for Q&A. Feedbacks will also be via emails and meeting appointments.
' Bocij, P. et al (2003) Business Information Systems (2/e), Harlow, Pearson.
- Choi, H. & Choi, H. (2003) An exploratory study and design of cross-cultural impacts of information systems management, Journal of Global Information Management, 11(2).
- Heeks, R.B. (2006) Implementing and Managing eGovernment, Sage Publications, London
- Patching, K. & Chatham, R. (2000) Corporate Politics for IT Managers, Oxford, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Robson, W. (1997) Strategic Management and Information Systems (2nd Edition), London, Financial Times.
- Willcocks, L. et al. (1997) Managing IT as a Strategic Resource, Maidenhead, McGraw-Hill.
- Yeates, D. & Cadle, J. (2001) Project Management for Information Systems (3rd Edition), London, Pitman Publishing.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Ping Gao||Unit coordinator|