School of Social Sciences - PhD Studentships - January 2019 start
Type of award
Dr Stuart Shields, Postgraduate Research Director
School of Social Sciences
- UK/EU tuition fee
- £14,777 per annum maintenance stipend
- £750 per annum research training support grant
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- Social Anthropology
- Social Statistics
MINIMUM, UK (or international equivalent) Masters degree at Merit level, including 65% overall average, 65% in dissertation and with no mark below 55%.
This funding is available to all nationalities.
Other eligibility criteria
English Language requirements (for students from non-native English speaking countries);
- IELTS 7, including 7 in writing and with no further score below 6.5
- TOEFL IBT 103 with 28 in writing and no further score below 25 in each section.
- ALL non-native English speaking students are required to do the English language assessment when they register in January.
- Any non-native English speaking student going away for fieldwork in an overseas, non-English speaking country required to re-take the English assessment when they come back to Manchester.
- All non UK/EU, non-native English speaking applicants must have obtained the minimum IELTS or TOEFL score in order to obtain a CAS for their visa.
Submit full PhD application and include the following supporting documents:
- research proposal ( guidance on how to write a proposal )
- two academic references (referees can submit references directly to Vicky.Barnes@manchester.ac.uk
- degree transcripts and certificates
- IELTS or TOEFL certificate (if from a non-native English speaking country). English criteria can be found on the programme details pages.
- include name of SoSS January 2019 PhD Studentship in funding section on the application form
- include name of two preferred supervisors on application form.
26 Nov 2018
Monday 26 November 2018 for receipt of ALL documents.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Award cannot be deferred.
Contact details for enquiries
- Vicky Barnes
Postgraduate Admissions Manager
Tel: 0161 275 4743