THIS COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED. Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships 2020-21
Type of award
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
$40,000 per year for three years;
$20,000 per year for three years, as research and travel allowance;
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available in all subject areas across the University.
- Either have a PhD offer to study in social sciences or humanities or be registered in the first or second year of a doctoral programme in the humanities and social sciences at The University of Manchester
- Be Canadian citizens
- Intend to or be doing PhD research related to the four themes of the Trudeau Foundation
- o Human Rights and Dignity
- o Responsible Citizenship
- o Canada and the World
- o People and their Natural Environment
This funding is available to students from:
Other eligibility criteria
Candidates submit their application using the Trudeau Foundation's online portal . They will need to create an account and upload their application form and all the required documents (including references and transcripts, but excluding the letter of nomination), as outlined on the Trudeau Foundation's website by 22 nd January 2020.
Referees provide references which must be signed and clearly indicate their name and contact details.
The Faculty of Humanities Associate Dean for PGR considers all submissions from candidates in the University of Manchester and selects suitable candidates. If successful, the Faculty will provide a nomination letter through the online portal.
- Academic excellence;
- Leadership experience and abilities;
- Thematic relevance of research to the Foundation's themes;
- Public engagement;
- Desire to contribute to public dialogue and share knowledge;
- Communication skills;
- Desire to belong to a vibrant community made up of leaders from across sectors; and
- All forms of diversity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, language, region, and discipline. We welcome First Nations, Métis, and Inuit candidates.
15 Jan 2020
15 January 2020
Late April 2020
- Candidates must explain explicitly how their research fulfils one or more of the four Trudeau themes
- Candidates must read the eligibility requirements carefully.
- Their referees must demonstrate how they meet the Foundation's criteria; references designed primarily to support applications for DPhil/PhD programmes may not fulfil this requirement adequately.
- The Faculty will not consider any incomplete or ineligible applications
- Application form and references must be written in English
- For technical support relating to the Trudeau Foundation portal, please contact the Trudeau Foundation directly.
- For candidates selected to attend an interview in Canada, the University of Manchester will not cover travel expenses
Contact details for enquiries
- Jo Marsh
Senior Postgraduate Research Administrator
Tel: 0161 2752603