EngD Computer Systems Engineering / Application and selection
Year of entry: 2020
How to apply
Advice to applicants
If you would like to apply for one of our research programmes, you MUST submit the following documentation:
- Online Application Form in which you should include the name of the academic member of staff you would like to supervise your research. We strongly recommend that you make contact with your proposed supervisor before submitting an application.
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts of previous university study. If your transcripts and certificates are in a language other than English, you must provide an official translation.
- CV summarising your academic record and highlighting experience that demonstrates your capacity to conduct research. Include:
- Work experience
- any prizes/competitions that you have won for your academic work
- experience of presenting your work at conferences/during your degree and list any research you have published
- details of your final year undergraduate project work and if appropriate your MSc project work
- service and leadership (in any domain including extra curricula)
- community activity (hackathons, societies etc)
- teaching or training experience (including peer support and extra curricula)
- soft skills: creativity, ability to work without constant supervision, good time management.
- Research Proposal outlining your research project. Include:
- Explain the importance of your research in the context of current knowledge
- Clearly identify the objectives of the research
- Literature review
- Explain the methodology to be employed
Two academic letters of reference provided by people who have knowledge of your academic ability. These should be on University headed paper and must be signed and dated within two years.
This information will also be used to shortlist you for funding interview if appropriate; you should therefore ensure that you address all requirements as outlined above.
The following documentation can be submitted at a later date.
- English Language qualification (if applicable) - IELTS greater than or equal to 6.5 (with 6.5 in Writing and no sub-test below 5.5).
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts of current university study. If your transcripts and certificates are in a language other than English, you must provide an official translation.