Textiles and Paper Science
School of Materials
Research staff: 64
Research postgraduates: 195
The School is the largest academic Materials focus in Europe, with more than 60 academic staff and around 700 students.
Flexibility to study full or part time and by distance learning further increases the popularity of the School's postgraduate programmes.
The School attracts significant sponsorship from industry and UK and EU research councils, providing fully funded PhD studentships for suitably qualified UK and EU students.
Textile Science and Technology
Research activities within Textiles draw on the inherent flexibility and versatility of fibres, and uses their chemical and physical structures to produce novel fibre-based products.
The research activities are industry-driven and organised into two overlapping themes:
- Engineered textiles and composites
- Textile chemistry and colouration
Textile Design, Fashion and Management
Textiles is an industry where innovations in process as well as product are required to effectively integrate all aspects of design, technology, retail and management.
Our multi-disciplinary research themes include:
- Design communication
- Design education
- Design management
- Digital design
- Emotional aspects of design and consumer behaviour
- Fashion design
- Fashion retailing
- Global operations management
- International supply chain management
- Textile design
The paper science group studies the influence of factors, including recycling and process chemistry, on the physical properties of the sheet with a view to improving and increasing the efficient use of raw materials and energy in manufacturing processes.
Our research themes include:
- Structure of stochastic fibrous materials
- Orthotropic shrinkage of paper during drying
- Flow in saturated compressible porous materials
- Surface and colloid chemistry
- Friction of paper surfaces
- Paper Science MPhil (1 year)
- Paper Science PhD (3 years)
- Technical Textiles MSc by Research (1 year)
- Textile Design, Fashion & Management MSc by Research (1 year)
- Textile Design, Fashion & Management PhD (3 years)
- Textile Design, Fashion & Management MPhil (1 year)
- Textile Science & Technology MSc by Research (1 year)
- Textile Science & Technology PhD (3 years)
- Textile Science & Technology MPhil (1 year)
- Textiles and Fashion MEnt (1 year)