BA Music and Drama / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
Course unit details:
Theatre & Performance 2 - Concepts
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The module offers an introduction to Theatre/ Performance theory and is taught through lecture/seminar. Each week students work through foundational material which covers a specific 'concept' or area of focus; each area forms one of the basic building blocks of theatre/performance theory and will be examined in relation to particular readings - and related where appropriate to the practice witnessed during PP2. The module is designed to introduce students to the field of performance studies and to equip students with a basic knowledge of key terminology and theoretical positions. It will encourage the critical application of theory to practice (either in case studies in the reading or contemporary performance viewed as part of PP2 course). It is also designed to give students access to foundational materials upon which they may build their own interests through their choices in Level 2 and Level 3 options.
- To engage students with foundational theoretical concepts prevalent within theatre and performance studies.
- To encourage students to critically examine practice using theoretical frameworks as proposed in the fields of theatre/performance studies.
By the end of the course the students are expected to:
- be able to distinguish key theories of theatre and performance studies
- recognise the significance and importance of these theories and apply them to performance practices and theatre events
- have studied a range of critical texts on contemporary performance
- have undertaken a more detailed study of at least one concept and applied it to practices of their choice
Teaching and learning methods
Lecture, seminar, directed reading, targeted preparatory reading
|Written assignment (inc essay)||60%|
Full written feedback for portfolios and essays
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Jennifer Hughes||Unit coordinator|
|Simon Parry||Unit coordinator|
Only available to students on Drama programmes.