Apply through UCAS
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
This course may be available through clearing
BSc Optometry / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Anatomy and Physiology for Health Care Professionals II
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
These units aim to give students a robust understanding of the workings of the human body. They will also develop the students’ understanding of the knowledge and practical application of anatomy and physiology which will then be applied to the principles and safe practice within healthcare professions.
These courses aim to promote:
- an integrated understanding of structure and function in cells, tissues and body systems,
- clinically oriented knowledge of homeostasis, the control and interdependence ofsystems in the human body relevant to healthcare professional practice,
- understanding of illustrative disorders of structure and function,
- skills in problem solving and self-directed learning using various resources.
On successful completion of this course, students should be able to
- Describe the structure and function of the human body relevant to the practice ofhealthcare professions
- Describe processes involving one or more body systems and their control
- Describe structural and functional factors contributing to the maintenance of health andthe development of disease
- Synthesize knowledge into coherent descriptions and explanations of structure andfunction
- Students will begin their study with an introduction to the human body and the concept ofhomeostasis. This will include exploration of the different levels of structure from the chemicallevel through cellular, tissue, organ, system and finally the organism as a whole.
- Students will study systems of the human body including; cardiovascular, respiratory, lymphatic,nervous, endocrine, renal, digestive, reproductive, musculoskeletal and immune systems.
Teaching and learning methods
These units utilize a blended learning approach consisting of: key lectures which are supported by self- assessment quizzes and e-learning resources delivered through blackboard. This allows the students to test their understanding and gain formative feedback on their progress.
Semester 1 – Formative examination (in week 6)
15min timed exam. Total of 10 marks (1 mark per question)
10 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Extended Matching Questions (EMQs including clinical
scenarios).Each student will be informed of their mark and feedback will be given.
OPTO10391 Semester 1 – Summative examination in January (95%)
OPTO10392 Semester 2 – Summative examination in May/June (95%)
Each exam will be 1hour duration. Total of 50 marks (1 mark per question)
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Extended Matching Questions (EMQs) total 50 questions
E-learning quizzes (5%)
Students are required to take a series of consecutive summative assessments which will test their understanding of each of the major themes covered in the lectures. Each assessment will comprise of either true/false questions or MCQs, (similar format to the formative assessment and the final examination). The assessments open and need to be submitted, following the relevant lecture(s) by the dates indicated on Blackboard. Students are required to complete each assessment.
The summative online assessments will contribute a total of 5% towards the final unit mark for each unit. The remaining 95% of the unit mark is awarded on the basis of the final examination in January.
In order to succeed students will need to achieve a minimum overall score of 40%
Tortora G, Derrickson BH (2013) Introduction to the Human Body: The Essentials of Anatomy and
Physiology, Illustrated Notebook Wiley
Colbert B, Ankney J, Lee K, Steggall M, Dingle M (2010) Anatomy and Physiology for Nursing and
Health Professionals Plus Interactive Physiology 10-System Suite CD-ROM Benjamin Cummings, Book
with access code.
Patton K T, Thibodeau GA (2016) Structure and Function of the Body 15th Edition. Elsevier
Patton K T, Thibodeau GA (2015) Anatomy and Physiology & Physiology Online Package 9th Edition
|Independent study hours|
|Niall Mcloughlin||Unit coordinator|