- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
This course may be available through clearing
BSc Optometry / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Mathematics for Optometry
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
To provide the fundamental mathematical tools that are required in Optometry.
- Analytical skills
- Many of the exercises and questions in the course will require the use of analytic skills. These will involve the confident use of the mathematical formulation of physical concepts and their applicability to the solution of exercises and problems.
- Mathematics involves the learning of basic concepts and the skills to apply them on practical problems. The exposure to exercises and questions will challenge the students to develop innovative and creativity skills.
- Project management
- The students will develop project management skills from their training and practice in the course, and the organisation of their studies.
- Problem solving
- During the course the students will solve numerous mathematical exercises and problems that will help the development of good problem solving skills.
- While there will not be any specific research training, the skills learned in the course will be essential components of further research training. Students will also learn about relevant current topics in research in their specific area of interest.
2 hour written paper (100% of the unit mark) taken at the end of the first semester. The exam paper consists of a series of mathematical calculations and problems.
Individual and small group feedback routinely provided; sample exercises corrected during the lectures and solutions posted to Blackboard; feedback for online exercises is provided directly in Blackboard.
-Croft AC and Davison R, Foundation Maths, Prentice Hall
-Stroud KA and Booth DJ , Foundation Mathematics, Palgrave
-Additional learning resources will be provided via Blackboard
|Independent study hours|
|Marcelo Montemurro||Unit coordinator|