- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Spanish and Portuguese / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Portuguese Language 2
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||Spanish, Portuguese and Latin|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The course unit is designed as a complementary course to SPLA52010 Portuguese Language 1. It comprises extra practice in Portuguese through a range of listening, reading, writing, and speaking activities which aim to further develop students’ basic knowledge of the language. Also, it aims to provide students with opportunities for further practice of basic Portuguese grammar and vocabulary, enabling them to use the language for a variety of practical purposes.
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
|Portuguese Language 1||SPLA52010||Co-Requisite||Compulsory|
Co-requisite: SPLA52010 Portuguese Language 1
- To provide students with materials leading to the consolidation of Portuguese grammar and syntax studied in SPLA52010 Portuguese Language 1.
- To enable students to communicate adequately in Portuguese through a range of written, oral, and comprehension exercises;
- To enrich the understanding of the language through the study of oral and written texts of different speech genres.
On successful completion of the course, students will have demonstrated:
- Active and passive knowledge of the basic grammar structures of the Portuguese language
- An ability to communicate effectively in written and oral Portuguese
Knowledge and understanding
- Passive and active knowledge of basic grammatical structures of the Portuguese language.
- An awareness of and responsiveness to the nature and extent of cultural diversity in the Lusophone world.
- The ability to understand and produce texts of different speech genres, through the use of knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and basic cultural awareness.
- The ability to develop powers of analysis and use them to solve problems.
- Decision making
- An ability to communicate in written and oral Portuguese.
- The ability to participate in pair and team work.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Communication and presentation skills, both oral and written through presentations and teamwork.
- Role adaptability.
- Computer literacy.
- Generally, communications skills are developed through frequent presentations and teamwork, problem-solving skills through translation and role-plays, and IT skills through web and computer assisted language learning.
Students will regularly receive individual written feedback on completed and marked assignments and oral presentations plus face-to-face discussion if desired. Besides, the tutor will provide in-class comments on homework, presentations and other exercises.
Additionally, global feedback (delivered orally in class/posted to Blackboard/as a handout) on frequent errors or omissions will be provided to the whole class to indicate problem areas and allow questions and discussion.
Finally, the collaborative group work and pair work used in these classes to practise presented language also facilitates peer feedback.
Summative feedback on Semester 1 examination will be given in the form of the mark given and/or a general description on how the group of students performed in the exam.
Materials will be provided in class.
Amélia P. Hutchinson and Janet Lloyd, Portuguese. An Essential Grammar (Routledge, 1996).
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Jose Peixoto Coelho De Souza||Unit coordinator|