- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Developmental Biology with Industrial/Professional Experience
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
The Biology of Being Human
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||School of Biological Sciences|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The Biology of Being Human is an interactive distance learning module delivered from Stony Brook University, Long Island USA. You will study evolutionary theories of animal social behaviour and the application of these theories to humans. You will be regularly interacting online with tutors and with other students on the course, both in Manchester and in the USA.
• To develop and attempt to falsify biological theories of how humans became so different from other animals
• To explore implications of these theories for human origins, history and social properties
• Understand evolutionary theories of animal social behaviour and to differentiate what is the same and what is different about humans.
• Learn how scientific theories are developed and aggressively tested against empirical evidence
There are 24 lectures covering:
How natural selection works based on the gene being the unit of interest.
• Human uniqueness
• Behaviour of humans in comparison with other species. Co-operative behaviour, kin-selected and kin-independent behaviours; sexual behaviour; childhood
• Evolution of humans, including the fossil record
• Development of language
• Humans as social animals; development of warfare, the ’state’ and co-operation
Methods of Delivery
This unit is delivered by distance learning from Stony Brook University, Long island, USA. There are videoed lectures, downloadable charts and animations, weekly e-quizzes and an interactive discussion board plus access to past examination papers. Students will be supplied a password and user name to a URL containing the lectures and access the interactive material via Microlab 1 or their own PC.
- Analytical skills
- Throughout the unit students will be presented with information which they will have to analyse utilizing scientific thought.
- Group/team working
- Students debate with each other on discussion boards and also receive peer reviews of their posts.
- Students debate with each other on discussion boards and also receive peer reviews of their posts. These discussions involve assimilating, reviewing and processing novel information and provides scope for both innovation and creativity.
- Project management
- The course is assessed by a combination of exams, e-quizzes and contribution to discussion boards. These all involve deadlines and the students must manage their time effectively to meet these deadlines.
- Oral communication
- Live online video conference review sessions are held before each examination. This allows students to discuss learning and understanding with each other and with academics.
- Problem solving
- Examinations and e-quizzes based on problem solving.
- Students debate with each other on discussion boards and also receive peer reviews of their posts. To achieve this it is necessary to independently research and review available literature on the lecture topics.
- Written communication
- There is an interactive discussion board used throughout the unit. Students debate with each other on discussion boards and also receive peer reviews of their posts.
Three examinations consisting of multiple choice questions spaced out at equal intervals through the unit, contribution to discussion board and e-quizzes.
Though the course is online, interactions with instructors are extensive. Online asynchronous discussions are continuous and instructors participate. Students debate each other on the discussion boards and also receive peer review of their posts. This debate and review includes discussions with students from the United States. Students are also given extensive feedback for correct and incorrect answers on all equizzes and the extensive array of study questions. Live, online videoconference review sessions are held before each examination. Teleconferenced office hours are available on an appointment basis.
|Independent study hours|
|Caroline Bowsher||Unit coordinator|