- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Arabic and a Modern European Language / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Arabic Language 4
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The course content is based on a set course book* plus supplementary materials
Information about Arab culture will be introduced implicitly and/or explicitly within the topics covered.
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
|Arabic Language 3||MEST51031||Pre-Requisite||Compulsory|
The aim is to consolidate the language skills acquired by the students in MEST51031- Arabic Language 3. The course also offers opportunities for students to increase their knowledge and appreciation of not only the language, in its Modern Standard form, but also the varieties of the Arabic dialects and cultural production in the Arabic-speaking world, in their many facets and diverse manifestations.
Knowledge and understanding
- Identify more complex grammatical structures and apply them to writing and translation activities.
- Engage in more complex oral dialogues and simple debates.
- Familiarise themselves with the different varieties of the Arabic dialects and the cultural production in the Arabic-speaking world, in their many facets and diverse manifestations.
- To type short texts in Arabic
- Engage in problem solving activities, grammatical and textual analysis and translation activities
- This course leads to further Arabic language learning to enable the students to graduate with the Arabic language skills demanded by different organisations including governmental, business and NGOs.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- develop their ability to improve their independent learning and performance by identifying strengths and weaknesses.
- develop their personal organization and time management skills.
- develop their interpersonal and communicative skill through group work inside and outside the class-room and preparing written and oral classroom presentations.
- begin to gain awareness of and responsiveness to cultural diversity and intercultural communication.
In class writing test - 10%
Listening exam - 10%
Speaking exam - 20%
Written exam - 60%
Formative feedback on weekly assignments
In-class comments on language learning and students’ performance in Oral and Written Arabic
Written comments on assignments/homework throughout the year.
Face to face feedback in office hours if required.
Feedback sheets indicating the quality of the exam performance in the various categories will be available to students.
Course Book (Subject to change with prior notice):
Brustad, Kirsten et al. (eds), Al-Kitaab fii ta’llum al-Arabiyya, Part Two (Washington: Georgetown University Press, 2005), this is the 2nd edition with DVD.
Supplementary materilas will be provided by the tutors.
Recommended Reading :
Doniach, N.S. et al., The Concise Oxford English-Arabic Dictionary (Oxford: OUP, 1984); Wehr, Hans, Arabic-English dictionary (Urbana, Illinois: Spoken Languages Services, 1994).
Abboud, P.F. et al. (eds), Elementary Modern Standard Arabic (EMSA) (Cambridge: CUP, 3rd ed. 1983).
Mace, J., Arabic Grammar (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1998);
Wightwick, J. & Gaafar, M., Mastering Arabic (including CD pack) (London: Palgrave/Macmillan, 1990).
Gaafar, M & Wightwick, J., Easy Arabic Reader (London: McGraw-Hill, 2011).
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Abdelghani Mimouni||Unit coordinator|
|Orieb Masadeh-Tate||Unit coordinator|
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS)
All students are encouraged to take part in the PASS scheme to run sessions for 1st year students, in which attendees have a chance to actively discuss difficult course concepts with their peers. Sessions focus on problem solving in groups in a tutor-free environment where students can raise key questions with each other and, in doing so, understand the material better themselves. PASS is student-led, informal, friendly and hopefully fun.